Cutting Baseboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody figure out the best way to cut baseboards so they fit neatly and tightly into 90 degree corners? I\\\'m a novice at this and I\\\'m having a hard time not so much cutting the miters, but making sure I\\\'m measuring correctly so the fit is tight.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The reason noone answered you is probably the difference in the language.
The term 'baseboard' is not known here.
It is known as skirting board.
You should be sure the corners are exactly 90° as very few are.
You mitre the outside corners by cutting each piece exactly half of the corner angle.
This could be done either on a hand mitre saw or better on a sliding power mitre saw.

For internal angles you place one piece against the back wall then scribe the mating piece to fit.
Scribing is done by cutting at 45° then using a coping saw to cut along the angle so the blade follows the shape of the moulding.
If you mitred the internal corners the join will open with the wood movement over the seasons.
This doesnt happen with scribed joints.
The opposite applies to outside corners.
Wood movement will close the joint rather than open it so a mitre is the perfect choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back