scantronic 9100 expansion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a house with a Scantronic 9100, with 4 circuits.
3 circuits just have a single PIR on them, the fourth has a PIR and 3 magnetic door switches on it. Also there is a second keypad on the first floor. System has worked reliably for many years.

I read coments that this panel is "bulletproof", and am therefore not keen to change a reliable system... "if it ain't broke..."

However we have a plan to add an additional garage on to the house, at the side of the existing garage. (The existing garage is covered by an existing PIR that has its own circuit as described above.)

I am told that to extend the system to cover the garage extension means I MUST have an expansion board for the unit, which cannot be found, or must change the whole system.

I don't understand this, as one existing circuit has a PIR and 3 door switches on it already, so why could not more detection devices be added to the existing garage circuit that just has one PIR at the moment.

So do I really need to junk a perfectly good panel, or can I add a couple of detection devices to the existing garage circuit? (Not sure I need PIR's, door switches might do.)

If I really must have a new panel, what is currently on the market that is equally "bulletproof" as the Scantronic?

Sorry if this is a obvious or stupid question, however this is not my area and I would like to check the basic concept with people who don't have a financial interest in the answer.

Thanks,
Eric

Sponsored Links
Hi eric, the simple answer is yes, nowt wrong with adding a few door contacts to existing zones, but, if something goes wrong, its a pain to fault find.

I do have a 4 zone expansion board if you want it.

As your existing system already has 1 pir and 3 contacts on one circuit then there is no reason why you cant add an extra pir onto the other circuit. I would not be recommended due to the reason above re fault finding but you don't get that many problems on domestic systems. So find an installer that will just fit the extra pir/contact.

I have a house with a Scantronic 9100, with 4 circuits.

I am told that to extend the system to cover the garage extension means I MUST have an expansion board for the unit, which cannot be found, or must change the whole system.

If I really must have a new panel, what is currently on the market that is equally "bulletproof" as the Scantronic?

Sorry if this is a obvious or stupid question, however this is not my area and I would like to check the basic concept with people who don't have a financial interest in the answer.

Thanks,
Eric
The MUST way is the correct way to do it, pity it was not done that way in the first instance.- the 9100 can be extended to 16 circuits.

Right, let's use a bit of imagination and solve this 'problem' easily shall we?

You will find a spare set of terminals in the panel marked up as AUX, I suspect they will not in use and have a wire link fitted.

The AUX is used for Fire, smoke detectors etc., why not use it for your couple of garage door contacts? It also makes the alarm sounder 'pulse' to distinguish between alarm and fire, so in your case, in the middle of the night, garage and house.

The way to do this would be to wire the contacts in the normal way connecting the 'contact loop' to the AUX and the 'tamper loop' to an unused 'tamper loop' elsewhere in the panel, I bet there is one.

Now, the AUX circuit works 24hr (always ON), so a problem with going in/out of the garage. The way around this is to fit some sort of 'Shunt' switch to the AUX circuit at the garage before the cable is returned to the panel - local on / off.

OK that may be a bit of a pain having to do that every time you go in/out of the garage, but it's cheaper than a new system that everyone will try to sell you.

ps

If you are really feeling adventurous an On/Off LED indication could also be connected to the shunt and go back to the house giving instant indication that the garage is on/off.

I'm worn out now, good luck (don't always listen to people who always say it can't it MUST etc., there is always another way.

pps

mryoung's way is the best, can also then split other circuits.

Europlex

Sponsored Links
Personally if the fire circuit causes a pulsed alarm when triggered then I find it incredible anyone would suggest adding std pirs to that circuit.

If the whole point of two different sounds is so that both the owner and if educated the neighbours can respond to a fire signal why muddy the waters by having it false alarm when a moth flies round the garage.

Fire alarms should be sacrosanct and if everyone keeps adding std pirs then they are responsible for defeating an excellent idea.

If a fire alarm went off on an alarm I would wish the neighbours to respond in seconds rather than when the alarm doesn't go off after a few minutes by which time someone in a fire would be dead.

I bet using the fire circuits for std pirs isn't in the EU regulations or the NSI handbook or inspection criteria.

incredible!

Doubling up existing pir sensors or replacing the panel for one with more zones would have been the prefered option.

You cannot justify your advice in this post.

If you use good quality PIRs/dual tech/quad - you are unlikely to have any problems so fault finding isn't really a worry. Just wire them in series.

Thanks to all for the comments and ideas, and especially MrYoung for his assistance and an expansion panel! Many Thanks!

With an expansion panel I think will have switches on the doors, and a suitable PIR in the garage space, and also now a PIR in the small workshop that will be attached, which will be my den/"shed" with my tools/fridge/chisels/drill and other important things in life.

thanks for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back