Do Optimum Start Thermostats Work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For those who don't know, this is the type of thermostat where you set the time by which you want the house to reach the required temperature and the stat works out when the boiler should come on, depending on the overnight drop in temperature. There has always been a nagging doubt as to whether they do what is said on the tin.

I have now worked out a way of checking, so here it is:

View media item 25509
How does it work?

The clock is an old 240V alarm clock which resets to 1200 if the power is turned off and on. (Normally it has a 9V battery to keep the clock going during power cuts, but this has been removed.) The 240V AC is a permanent supply. The red lines are links I have put between the relay contacts. The whole device (apart from the clock) fits into a standard surface mounted switch box with a blanking plate cover drilled to take the reset switch.

When the thermostat first calls for heat, the relay is energised via the normally closed contact of switch A, which starts the clock. The relay switches over, so the clock and the relay are both powered from the 240V AC supply via switch B. The thermostat is disconnected, so it can do what it likes. This also prevents voltage from the 240V supply getting onto anything else connected to the thermostat, e.g. a motorized valve.

When you get up in the morning, say at 7am, and the clock shows the time is 0200, this means it went on two hours earlier, i.e at 5 am. To reset the system you just press the switch, which breaks the circuit to the relay.

If you use the timer every day for a reasonable time you will soon find out if the times change according to the weather. It might however be advisable to have a Max-Min thermometer hanging next to the wall stat so you can relate the start time to the minimum overnight temperature.

I will report my findings when the heating goes on.

Sponsored Links
It sounds a very complicated way to only find out what time the heating comes on at.

Much more useful is a cheap USB temp datalogger which may be under 30 pounds now.

That will show the actual temperature achieved over the startup period.

Tony

I did a check by watching the boiler. The stat was set to raise the house temp just after I got home.
Yes it worked.
Disaster in a customer's house though - callouts galore because they don't understand why the boiler's off or on.

Sponsored Links
Much more useful is a cheap USB temp datalogger which may be under 30 pounds now.
But mine has cost under six pounds!

Do USB dataloggers have a real-time clock built in?

The cheapest I have found online is over £40.

I did a check by watching the boiler. The stat was set to raise the house temp just after I got home. Yes it worked.
I don't like the idea of getting up at 4am and sitting by the airing cupboard waiting for the heating to come on! :LOL:

On a more serious note, I assume you are talking about getting home in the evening. Are you saying that you set the time to, say 5pm, and when you got home before that time the boiler was already running? If so, that contradicts the general impression that Optimum Start only works on the first ON time each day; at all other ON times, the boiler starts at the time set.

they're pointless waste of time. Case closed. next :D
Where is your evidence?

well if i'd kept all the ones i've taken out and put them into a bag i'd have sent them to you...
Bg fitted loads of them, customers dont get it and keep calling you out.
I don't believe they offer any sufficient benefit. Anyone who cares about their house being at a certain temp at a certain time will get to know their system and time the programmer as such. The difference in different temp environments in domestic premises is negligable (it might take 20mins longer when its really cold---big deal). I can imagine in a very large house or commercial premises it makes more sense.

I can only agree with mickyg. I too have taken out more than I care to remember.

They are all more trouble than they are worth.

I only put Honeywell ones in. With those you just turn the optimum start off :)
I suppose it makes you look a bit gay, looking at the instructions an' all?

The data loggers have a clock in them which time and date stamps each data sample.

I only said they MAY be under £30. Perhaps not yet.

Tony

The simple fact is that optimum start DOES work and will deliver some small savings. But most customers do not understand what it does.

Thats the same level of misunderstanding as the people who turn up the room stat when they feel cold and turn it down when they feel hot ( 30 min later ).

But its designed to aid the constant output boilers which dont modulate. Most more recent boilers modulate and so warm up faster.

The current proper control is a modern boiler with weather compensation which does the control function most efficiency.

I would expect anyone in a four bed detached house to be able to buy a £40 data logger which with careful use would enable savings of at least its cost in just one year.

Tony

they're pointless waste of time. Case closed. next :D
Where is your evidence?

well if i'd kept all the ones i've taken out and put them into a bag i'd have sent them to you...
Bg fitted loads of them, customers dont get it and keep calling you out.
I don't believe they offer any sufficient benefit. Anyone who cares about their house being at a certain temp at a certain time will get to know their system and time the programmer as such. The difference in different temp environments in domestic premises is negligable (it might take 20mins longer when its really cold---big deal). I can imagine in a very large house or commercial premises it makes more sense.

Was brilliant wasn't it, installations put them in a week later we got a job credit for swapping over a 2 screw stat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back