Upstairs radiators start banging after a while

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi... Since I got a new combi boiler attached to existing radiators (4 upstairs and 2 downstairs) I am having problems with them making an extra loud banging noise.. It only happens with the upstairs ones and its only after theyve been on for an hour or so also its only one that does it but it can be any one of three, all have thermostat controls and if I turn the radiator down a little the noise stops suddenly, If I turn the heating off the noise stops after a few minutes. The bathroom radiator was replaced with a radiator towel rail (without thermostat control) the same time as the combi was installed so perhaps thats the culprit?? but that's the only one that hasn't made a banging noise. No other probs with them and no cool spots either.
I have been putting up with this problem for over a year but now ive got a lodger Its time to get it solved, bleeding the radiators didn't help so Im trying this forum before I call expert help.
Thanx in advance.
ell

Sponsored Links
Problem with combies in general. The pump runs at full speed to supply hot water, but the speed needed for the heating is less. Was it your choice to have a combi, or did it replace another combi?

Sponsored Links
..or is it a job for a qualified plumber.. Thanks for all the reply's your all more than helpfull.

Hi

Sorry to bother you - new member so not sure how this works... Did you get your problem fixed? We have very same issue and not sure how to resolve so would be grateful of any info/advice

Thanks

The Thermostatic radiator valves are fitted the wrong way round new ones are bi directional older ones have an arrow and that is the direction of flow Yours are the wrong way round

Would be good if the new OP told us the problem.

The valves sounding like a machine gun is due to the pressure differential and the TRV.

An auto by-pass fitted and adjusted correctly will solve the problem.

Hi
Further details - Same probs as post starter one or two of my upstairs radiators are making a loud banging noise after being on for a while, never had gas central heating before so unsure how to resolve or if I need to get someone in? All radiators are working (tho did bleed all of them and got air out of a few). Any help at all greatly appreciated. I see some of you have advised re: valves.is this something I can alter? Thank u

Have you checked the valves as stated, do they have an arrow on them for the flow direction?

What sort of banging noise.

Like a machine gun perhaps.

How old is the installation.

Have you checked the valves as stated, do they have an arrow on them for the flow direction?

Will check now and let you know - are the arrows on the valves at bottom left side of radiator?(opposite of temp dials)

What sort of banging noise.

Like a machine gun perhaps.

How old is the installation.

Yeah quite loud and machine gun like - if I adjust temp control on right of radiator up or down the noise stops. House was built in 94 but upgraded last year so think some old and some new radiators. Thermostat and controls for system/timer etc in kitchen and boiler has digital display so don't think it's exceptionally old?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back