Galaxy 2-20 reset or replace it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have aquired a Galaxy 2-20 alarm from the previous owners of the house. The alarm was previously monitored by Secom. Due to house alterations sensors have been moved/removed and now two years later I would like to use the alarm again. However I don't have the engineers code and hence my question is can I factory reset the alarm or do I need to bin it and buy a new control PCB?

My main concern have a "fiddle" with it is that the external bell goes off I I can't shut it up save going up a ladder!

Being a software engineer by trade and have a background in electronic engineering (all be it a long time ago) I am happy reconfiguring the system once I can get into it.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can factory reset it. But you will need the installation book to reprogramme it, its not a panel that you can follow by the menu display alone. If you go down the route of another control unit you will either have to remove the resistors in the pirs and contacts or change them to the value of the new control unit (EOL) but if you use a non EOL control unit you may not have enough wires in the devices to pick up your tamper connection as you only need 4 for a EOL pir but should be 6 for standard wiring. (g1 systems however don't require tamper detection on the circuits/zones.)

Thanks, I have the installation manual and although it doesn't appear to be obvious how to configure it, it doesn't seem too bad.

Reading though the installation manual however it doesn't seem to suggest how you would do a hard reset on the system. Now I can sort of understand this maybe for "security reasons" but other manufacturers appear to give this information out.

So question is are the steps to do a hard reset a trade secret then?

de-power, remove the lithium battery, re-power, refit the lithium battery.

or open the wire memory link, de-power then re-power then close link.

Sponsored Links
I have had a look at the board and I can't see a link to be removed (this was my initial though as well on how to reset it).

The local engineer I had a quote from some time ago (was was rather on the large size) claimed killing all the power would not reset the engineers code as this stored in flash memory (i.e. doesn't need power to keep contents).

Any one confirmn or deny?

Cheers.

This is true, remember its a security system, killing the power wont do anything.

you can only achieve a factory reset through a soft rest on Galaxy. you'll need an engineer code for this. otherwise find the NVM resisters and create a shorts while cold starting the panel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back