Can I use BAL tile advesive cement as a wall filler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

following on from my post on the tiling forum, I have bought some BAL tile adhesive cement to fill some gaps where it has gone back to brick.

I also have a load of other holes to fill, and usually use gyproc powder that I mix up into a paste.

Could I use the tile adhesive, either exclusively, or just as the grounding for the final layer?

And is there anything better I should use for the final top layer??

I tend to find however carefully I try and fill and sand, it always seems to stand out.....

Cheers

Dan

Sponsored Links
Hi Dan, it’s me again; :LOL: it may not have been obvious from my posts on your other thread but I’m also a plasterer + undertake a whole load of other stuff on building the renovation work I do!

I have bought some BAL tile adhesive cement to fill some gaps where it has gone back to brick. I also have a load of other holes to fill, and usually use gyproc powder that I mix up into a paste. Could I use the tile adhesive, either exclusively,
As I said on your thread in tiling, yes; it’s the best solution for you & will avoid having to wait before tiling. Do not use Gypsum plaster; base plaster is not suitable (too soft) & Multifinish is unnecessary & will reduce permissible tile weight.

or just as the grounding for the final layer?
Just use the adhesive

And is there anything better I should use for the final top layer??
No just tile adhesive if your tiling over it.

I tend to find however carefully I try and fill and sand, it always seems to stand out.....
It only needs to be flat & level with the surrounding finish, it doesn’t have to be perfect.

What’s wrong, are you checking up on me :LOL: don’t you trust my advice? :rolleyes: Other comments always welcome ;)

Hello Richard!

ah no, I think again I have not explained too clearly.....

I have just in fact been using the BAL to fill the holes around the window that will also be tiled over, and so far so good thankyou very much!

The other areas are not on a wall that is going to be tiled, some are holes from plugs, and some are craters I have opened up to try and get rid of some cracks in the plasterwork.

I'm not sure if I could use this tile adhesive to either fill it full stop, or maybe fill 80% of the holes on the wall that is not going to be tiled, and then finish off with a better top layer. such as gyproc (What I have used up until now) or something else entirely.

Do you have any suggestions to stop my filled areas standing out like beacons?!

EDIT: Just read your other reply!
So I will crack on and use some more of this tile adhesive to mostly fill the other areas, and then round off with a layer of gyprock.

Is there a particular sanding method I should be using to try and get a perfect, or near perfect finish?

My usual method, is to nearly fill the hole, let it dry, slightly overfill with the final layer, and then try and gently sand down, until it matches the wall either side.
In my mind it should work fine..........

Cheers

Dan

EDIT: Just read your other reply!
So I will crack on and use some more of this tile adhesive to mostly fill the other areas, and then round off with a layer of gyprock.
I’m still not sure what you mean by “gyprock” :confused: . I thought you were referring to (British) Gypsum plaster (maybe mistakenly) which not is suitable for sanding/blending in to finish off.

Is it this stuff you’re referring to :?:
http://www.gyprock.com.au/our-produ...ompounds--adhesives/gyprock-rapid-patch™.aspx

Is there a particular sanding method I should be using to try and get a perfect, or near perfect finish? My usual method, is to nearly fill the hole, let it dry, slightly overfill with the final layer, and then try and gently sand down, until it matches the wall either side.
I always fill out to within 3mm with a basecoat plaster or render, then finish off using Multifinish & a plastering trowel, polishing in the edges & sometimes with a light sanding over with paper around a large wooden block just to feather in the edges. Overfilling & extra sanding will work just as well as long as you’re using a sandable filler; because of the grit content & make up, Gypsum finishing plaster does not react well to sanding.

Sponsored Links
Hi Richard - I bought it on my gf's dads recommendation about 7 years ago, when we had a lot of filling work to do on our first house.

prd_easifill(co)_hgh.jpg

Gyproc Easi-Fill
Gyproc Easi-Fill

A combined setting and air drying gypsum based material for bulk filling and finishing of joints. High coverage rate and minimal drying shrinkage allows application in only two coats. Easy to mix, apply and sand, with 90 minutes working time and the second (final) coat can be applied after 120 minutes. Used in the 2-stage method of plasterboard jointing.

Complies with EN 13963, type 3B

That's the culprit there - do you think it is not suitable for sanding and painting over then?

Is Multifinish a specific make of finishing plaster then?

Is it this one here:
Thistle-Multi-finish-Plaster_medium.jpg
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Thistle-Multi-finish-Plaster/invt/220056?source=123_4

If so, I am off to B&Q just after 7 to pick up two lengths of worktop, so will stick one in the car.

EDIT: As I am going to use this finishing plaster instead of the gyproc, I assume it will leave me with a grey finish - I have had ceilings replastered before, and have had to seal them, before painting, as otherwise it just absorbs the paint - would the same go for this finishing plaster?

And out of interest, if I was not going to use the tile adhesive as the filling for the hole before the finishing plaster layer, what should I use instead?

I will use the tile adhesive for the time being, but am thinking for the future,

Many thanks

Dan

prd_easifill(co)_hgh.jpg

That’s fine; it’s what I was referring to all along.

Is Multifinish a specific make of finishing plaster then?
Is it this one here:
Thistle-Multi-finish-Plaster_medium.jpg
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Thistle-Multi-finish-Plaster/invt/220056?source=123_4
Tes that’s the one
If so, I am off to B&Q just after 7 to pick up two lengths of worktop, so will stick one in the car.
EDIT: As I am going to use this finishing plaster instead of the gyproc
No don’t do that; it’s what I would do but you need to stick with the Easyfill.

And out of interest, if I was not going to use the tile adhesive as the filling for the hole before the finishing plaster layer, what should I use instead?
I would use a base plaster such as Bonding for small areas, Hardwall or sand/cement render for large areas but not if you want to tile over it any time soon.

Hi Richard,

just back from a lengthy trip to B&Q :D

Alas I have picked up a bag of finishing plaster - I can easily take it back if need be.

However I thought that the finishing plaster would give a better finish on a standard wall that was not going to be tiled (Ie for filling plug holes, enlarged cracks, chasing in cables), over and above the gyproc - is that not the case?

The problem I tend to find with the gyproc is that it always seems to be a little bit 'dusty' so I was hoping the finishing plaster would give a more polished appearance like the wal either side.

Am I best to stick with easyfill because you need a certain set of skills to use the finishing plaster properly?

Cheers

Dan

Am I best to stick with easyfill because you need a certain set of skills to use the finishing plaster properly?
I would get a refund on the Multi & stick with the Easyfill. For the reasons previously given, finishing plaster is not an ideal choice for the novice when filling/patching & invisible repairs are going to be almost impossible to achieve. It can even be difficult for a pro & quiet often it’s quicker & easier to re-skim the entire wall to get the desired finish. I would not advise you attempt this as plastering is a bit of a black art & is one of the most difficult trades you are ever likely to come across; perfect results need a high degree of both skill & experience.

I would get a refund on the Multi & stick with the Easyfill. For the reasons previously given, finishing plaster is not an ideal choice for the novice when filling/patching & invisible repairs are going to be almost impossible to achieve. It can even be difficult for a pro & quiet often it’s quicker & easier to re-skim the entire wall to get the desired finish. I would not advise you attempt this as plastering is a bit of a black art & is one of the most difficult trades you are ever likely to come across; perfect results need a high degree of both skill & experience.

Hi Richard,

got ya, I will stick with the gyproc and get a refund on the multi finish stuff.

Is there anyway to get a harder finish on the gyproc, or does it just need ages to set?

Always seems a little bit dusty when I come to paint it........

Cheers for all the advice, greatly appreciated, the tile adhesive stuff is drying a treat on the walls :)

Dan

Is there anyway to get a harder finish on the gyproc, or does it just need ages to set?
Easyfill is an inherently soft filler primarily designed for skimming over dry lining tape joints which are not usually more than around 3mm thick. To speed up drying time, build up the total depth in 3-5mm stages. It may not be economical to buy a bag of Bonding plaster if you don’t need much but it’s much better for deep filling (up to 10mm in one go) & it chemically sets within an hour or so; you can then finish off with a with a 2-3mm skim of Easyfill over the top.

Always seems a little bit dusty when I come to paint it........
The dust is an unfortunate product of sanding; you could try polishing with a steel finishing trowel rather than sanding but you may not get the finish as good as you want it. Brush off as much dust as you can with a wide dry paint brush (or vacuum it off) & then prime with 2/3 coats of ordinary matt emulsion in quick succession, thinned by around 30%. Do not under any circumstances be tempted to use conventional PVA to seal/prime it.

Hi Richard,

thankyou once again for your expertise.

Carried out a load of filling today with the gyproc, and went a lot better than I had previously remembered - I am thinking this is because I am only using a thin layer as opposed to the thick layers I have used in the past, so this may have gotten around the 'dusty' issue I was experiencing.

The really thin skims went really well today, and the thicker ones went mosty ok, a few i'll need a sand down and a second go, but I think the tiling adhesive has made a huge difference.

Is the bonding plaster going to be better/a different alternative to the tiling adhesive?

I'm liking the idea of priming it to kind of seal it in properly, will give that a go with the various patched in the kitchen - most of them have a good surface finish, just want to keep it that way!

One other question, just wanted to make double double sure - I have a small amount of repointing to do on the exterior of the house, can I use the BAL cement adhesive for this small task, is it ok out in the elements etc etc?

Cheers

Dan

Is the bonding plaster going to be better/a different alternative to the tiling adhesive?
Cement based tile adhesive is ideal for rough filling areas where you want to tile over quickly without having to wait for conventional render/mortar mix to dry out. If you’re filling holes in a surface that is to remain plastered, a base plaster (Bonding) is the best product to use followed by either Multifinish or, for the inexperienced, Easyfill; but if you’ve got some adhesive you need to use up then it will work equally as good.

One other question, just wanted to make double double sure - I have a small amount of repointing to do on the exterior of the house, can I use the BAL cement adhesive for this small task, is it ok out in the elements etc etc?
It will withstand the elements but maybe too hard a mix & is hardly the right product to use; neither will it match the colour of existing pointing. Use a conventional sand/cement render but if you want try & get a good colour match with existing you stand a much better chance if you mix your own using local sand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back