power supply for power shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thanks for any replies you may give :)

I'm going to install a power shower - I have a 'proper plumber man' to do the wet bits but am doing the electrics myself - are there any websites out there with helpful diagrams? I'd like information on the conduit (which I'll be putting behind plaster and tiles) and the actual connection to the unit. The instructions with the shower are rubbish.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
power shower only requires power for the pump, where is your man putting the pump?

This can be a fused spur off the ring, but you would be well advised to make it RCD protected. Cable in oval conduit would be best, to fused spur outside the zones. Look in 'for reference' and also be aware tht under part P such work is notifiable.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

Forgot about the new regs.

Maybe I'll get a 'proper electric man' in for the electric stuff. I'd still like to put the conduit in though - is there anything more to it than digging out some plaster, putting in the conduit and then tiling over it?

Thanks again.

so long as its vertical, and access to both ends not really

Forgot about the new regs.
As I'm sure will lots of people for many years to come, unless its not their building or they are thinking of moving house in the very near future. As for the council, to act, a complaint has to have been received within a year of completion of the work, and I can see many people, who will probably not 'shop' themselves, simply 'not remembering' to notify, and then making sure that by they sell the house on the paper trail has gone cold. Even the approved schemes only say the electrician must keep his copy of the the records for 3 years.
However, while I would be very wrong to advise you to break the law, but given the police can't find 1 in 8 of us who are uninsured motorists until after they crash into something, at least according to something I read the other day, I strongly suspect there will only ever be actions taken against really dangerous repeat offendors, who actually jeapordise the public..
Certainly I wont lose much sleep if I sometime find I have to move or change the odd wire because the new bathroom light is a different shape, though of course the work will be to regs (but it always was anyway.)

:) thanks for that - well (and amusingly) put. Maybe I will have a go...

whoever does it, do make the conduit you fit rather bigger than you think you need, it can be fun :cry: to thread up all but the shortest lengths once in situ.
the recommndation is no more than 50% filling factor unless special dertaing is performed. Spend some time reading the section on bathroom installations and permited zones etc in the reference section, so you can sound intelligent when negotiating with potential electricians.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back