Kitchen downlights stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an electrcian install 9 GU10 50 watt downlights in my kitchen a couple of years ago, since then two have stopped working, have replaced the bulbs to no avail, there is I think power going to the light units themselves as I have waved a glow stick nearby. I believe the lights were wired individually meeting at a junction box then to the power source.

Any ideas appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Are they on transformers, sometimes they are individually connected to a tranny, that may need to be replaced, if you can remove the fitting you should be able to pull it through.
Isolate circuit first.

there is I think power going to the light units themselves as I have waved a glow stick nearby.
there is I think water in my pipes as I have waved a blowtorch nearby.

Means nothing, and if this is the extent of your electrical test equipment step away from the lights and call the electrician back.

PBoD why would they be on Tx's? They are GU10s.

Moggy, if there is a junction box it SHOULD be accessible through one of the downlight holes. The fittings just pull out - they are held in by springs.

Sometimes the heat from the lamps cause the contacts on the lampholders to bend away from the lamp, and thus a bad connection.

Take this opportunity to try out LED lamps - B&Q have them starting at £14.99, and that includes a lampholder and termination box. The surrounds start at £2. Check them out, I am very impressed with them.

Sponsored Links
I've had several occasions where the wire that comes with the fitting deteriorates through heat damage just above the lamp holder. At first glance it looks as though the wire is there, but it can have rotted enough to be resistive to power flow. I recently had to replace about a dozen such connectors in a large installation. This can apply to 240V and 12V fittings just the same.

PJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back