PIR setting off alarm but can't find out why

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new alarm installed in April of this year. It has 4 PIRs on 3 separate zones plus door contacts on the outer doors. It is not connected to the telephone line at all.

At the beginning of July the alarm went off around midnight. It was one of the zones which has one PIR in each of the main living rooms. Nothing was apparent as to the cause. Around 5/6 weeks later the exact same zone caused an alarm again so I called out an engineer. He checked the wiring which all seemed fine except for one of the PIRs where the wire was inserted into the contact but had not been screwed shut - this was fixed.

Unfortunately the exact same thing happened one week later. This time the engineer replaced the circuit boards in both PIRs in that zone. Last night exactly the same thing happened although this time the contraol panel showed 2 zone leds lit. The first one was the same zone as the last 3 occasions but this time one other zone with a PIR was lit. Again no apparent cause.

On each of the last 3 occasions the alarm has gone off on a Wednesday night always around 11:30pm - 12:30am. I can't remember if the first time was also a Wednesday or not.

It has never gone off during the day and each time it has happened I can't find a cause. There is nothing in either room that could move and absolutely nothing amiss.

Has anyone any idea what might be causing this? It's certainly strange that the last 3 occasions have been on the same night of the week around the same time. I can think of nothing though that would cause it.

Sponsored Links
I know they cant tell the time but check for spiders inside the pir, also the hole where the cable enters the pir should be sealed to prevent access.

I know they cant tell the time but check for spiders inside the pir,

The engineer had the two PIRs open these last two weeks to check the wiring and to change the circuit board. It would seem unlikely, although possible I suppose, for a spider to be still there.

Sponsored Links
If the cable entry is not sealed they could be behind the pir itself and enter via the hole its a long shot but have seen it before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back