rolawn Turf with toadstools / mushrooms HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my garden ruined by builders building my extension and then i was bumped by them after lending money to have the extension finished there was no money left to fix the lawn

i had to dig it all out by hand and level it (saving up at the same time)

After a couple of months my lawn was flat and i have laid the topsoil.

i waited about 6 weeks before i laid the turf, i bought rowlan turf after many good reviews

the turf has been down nearly 2 weeks now and mushrooms or toadstools are growing in my lawn and lots of them. i never had this problem before and nothing grew through the topsoil so they have to be in the turf. i am very unhappy as it took months to fix, does anyone know how to get rid of them or should I complain the rolawn

thanks

Sponsored Links
just leave it, they will die away. Maybe there was wood or something in the ground.

if you look after the lawn in future, they will not be a significant problem. You can knock the heads over if you like, they will dry up and you can sweep or mow up the fragments.

You can spray with fungicide but IMO a waste of time and money. New lawns are best not given chemicals.

Sponsored Links
I assume the mushies are small brown and not in a circle?.

If so the mushrooms just mean that when you laid the turf there was some organic material in the soil under it.

That material in he soil is all eventually broken down by beneficial microscopic fungi - and in doing so, they release nutrients into the soil.

So far so good!.

However these microscopic fungi normally produce 'fruiting' growths (the mushrooms/toadstools you see above ground), by which means they multiply so removing them before they multiply/spore is worth doing.

Treatment

Simply lightly rake or brush off the toadstools as and when they appear so they do not produce spores (seeds), after they are brushed loose your mower should be able to suck/mow them up easily, that way all the good work the fungi (underground mycellium) is doing under your lawn can go on unnoticed.

Whilst these fungi in the lawn are not harmful to the grass, they could be poisonous if eaten.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back