Conservatory roof leak - can you fit flashing onto steel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had an extension done with a 2.5 x 3.5 'Succah' (conservatory) roof fitted ontop. See here http://www.succahrooflights.co.uk/single_roof_gut.html
We moved in about a week ago and have noticed leaks in several places around the border of the succah roof.

Builder has since sent in men who have applied horrible sticky black stuff everywhere (bitumen?) so it looks a right mess. But the leaks have persisted, albeit fewer than before.

So called in a roofer this morning who said that the builders didn't build a Kerb high enough (should be 6in?) beneath the Succah, i.e. the Succah roof's been fitted flush to the extension roof. So there's water coming in where the 2 roofs meet.

He said ideally the roof should be removed and refitted. However we fear this will be involve protacted discussion (fight) with builder and will involve a lot of mess and disturbance which after 7 months of building we are keen to avoid.

His second suggestion was to fit flashing all the way round the rim of the succah roof to go over the join, but he was unsure how to stick the flashing to the succah roof (made from galvanised steel). Can anyone advise if, and how best, this can be done?

Thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
er... prob too big a company for me... anyway that wasnt really my query- i was looking more for guidance on how it should be done

With roof lights such as this, the normal thing is to construct a 150mm upstand and felt it, and then the rooflight fits on the top with a the joint sealed with suitable sealant and the rooflight has a cill or lip to cover the joint and prevent rain dripping from the frame to the joint, or being blown up and under. Effectively it's just like a window cill arrangement

It sounds like the builders have bodged it with "Flashband" adhesive flasing which wont last at all, and if the rooflight is directly on the roof surface with no upstand then this will cause problems

Also you never want to fit flashing above or over the cill or bottom of your rooflight frame - it should always be under it. Otherwise water just runs down the frame and gets under the flashing

Your roofer seems to be correct in that the frame needs to be taken off. Remember that this has to last 15 years or so, so needs to be done correctly now

Sponsored Links
er... prob too big a company for me... anyway that wasnt really my query- i was looking more for guidance on how it should be done
you can buy their products - and they have an advice line ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back