WHY ...Viessmann or the Remeha

Ive just had a look at the Remeha and i see that they are high tech ..lap tops plug into them etc ..

now that's put me right off

if anything ..im trying to get away from high tech
Sorry, but you won't get away from "high tech" with modern boilers. They all need electronics to operate the modulating gas valves etc. The PC interface on the Remeha boilers is mainly there to make diagnostics easier. However all the data is available at the display on the boiler, including the fault history. Many installers don't bother using a laptop to set them up or adjust them.

i have a very clever electronics friend who says ..if constantly "on" no electrical PCB is going to last more than ten years without some component screwing up on it
It's more likely to fail if it is being turned on and off all the time. The servers at the college I worked for ran 24/7 and some had been going for 10 years when I left; and they are much more "high tech" than any boiler control board.

Sponsored Links
Mine does not have weather compensation as it is not the latest model. I understand WC turns the boiler stat up on cold days so the rads get hotter, and down on warm days so it runs more efficiently and uses less gas to deliver just a trickle of heat, rather than switching the burners on and off frequently. I do not know how much the WC kit costs extra, but they say it can save up to 12%gas. Mine automatically modulates the flame size and heat output to maintain the temperature I manually set (last winter I turned it up to 80C for a few days when very cold and the house had been empty, and in warmer weather I set it to the lower "standard" temperature of 60C

This is a high-quality boiler, and to get the extended warranty you have to haver it installed by one of their trained installers (they do not charge registered gas fitters for the training, and they can be local independent men). No doubt the trained man would know how to connect the WC. When mine was installed he tinkered with the connection block inside and ran wires out to my external programmer, and into a duct to go the cylinder where my pump and 3-port valve are

the programmer you show says it uses an industry standard backplate, it looks like you can unplug it from the wall and plug on a Drayton or Honeywell or something if you feel like it.

yep ...i like that feature of the backplate

btw this brand new and fully functioning programer with the danfoss tp5 was only £5 from attick sale .

got some prices on the Vitodens 100-W Compact today

16 kw ...592.54 plus vat
19 kw ...604.66 plus vat
26 kw... 642.14 plus vat

almost on par with worcestor bosch

so im probably going for one of the above ..if i can find a fitter the has had the training course. (hard enough finding the fitter never mind one with a course under his belt :( )

Ive just had a look at the Remeha and i see that they are high tech ..lap tops plug into them etc ..

now that's put me right off

if anything ..im trying to get away from high tech
Sorry, but you won't get away from "high tech" with modern boilers. They all need electronics to operate the modulating gas valves etc. The PC interface on the Remeha boilers is mainly there to make diagnostics easier. However all the data is available at the display on the boiler, including the fault history. Many installers don't bother using a laptop to set them up or adjust them.

i have a very clever electronics friend who says ..if constantly "on" no electrical PCB is going to last more than ten years without some component screwing up on it
It's more likely to fail if it is being turned on and off all the time. The servers at the college I worked for ran 24/7 and some had been going for 10 years when I left; and they are much more "high tech" than any boiler control board.

yup, the servers probably top kit ..

my own computer has lasted about 9 years of 24/7 continuous operation ..

but that was top spec at the time Asus A7N8X mother board....

the caps had just began to swell, so i had them all replaced with top quality Panasonic matsushita..should hopefully get another couple of years out of it .

all the best.markj

I fit Broags all the time. Very good boilers.

Parts are no problem. The merchant who supplies them will have a 'first aid kit' of spares that the installer can pick up foc to fix the boiler first time.

Veissman, I have never fitted, but worked on some. Don't like them, aftersales can be hit and miss depending what area you live.

Vaillant good, but atrocious after sales service.

Ideal, forget them, unless you are glutten for punishment.

Worcester, ok but a nightmare to work on, excellent after sales service, but one has to ask how we all know that :eek:

There, and I said I wouldn't reply :LOL:

thanks for the informative post

i have spoken to the Worcester tech department ..and found them very forthcoming with information...very easy to get to ...and honest and upfront .

the guy also said the 24ri would be more reliable than their combie boilers and system boilers........he even mentioned that i should expect the fan to start getting noisy after 4-5 years and expire a while afterwards .

that says to me ..a drop of oil now and again on the spindle shaft.........or strip down and replace bearings ..begore it gets that far.

i had a look at the Worcester fans on ebay ..they seem to have a PCB built into them ...what is that ..is that the main boiler motherboard?

all the best.markj

did he tell you the transformers are crap!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
yep ...i like that feature of the backplate

btw this brand new and fully functioning programer with the danfoss tp5 was only £5 from attick sale .

got some prices on the Vitodens 100-W Compact today

16 kw ...592.54 plus vat
19 kw ...604.66 plus vat
26 kw... 642.14 plus vat

almost on par with worcestor bosch

so im probably going for one of the above ..if i can find a fitter the has had the training course. (hard enough finding the fitter never mind one with a course under his belt :( )[/quote]

Im only in St.helens and approved if thats any use to you matey

yes 20 min job, what about going there to find what the fault is? then off to parts center, then back your talking in all over an hour. so take away your expenses your left with sweety money :rolleyes:

yes 20 min job, what about going there to find what the fault is? then off to parts center, then back your talking in all over an hour. so take away your expenses your left with sweety money :rolleyes:

NOt if you keep them on the van lol :D

aboardepsilon Have you thought about buying a combi, using it coupled with an indirect for bath use /peak time etc but using the hw supply for kitchen hot water?

so just because you dont say keep a glow-worm micron an on your van, is that now your poor customers fault so then they get hit with a bigger bill?

I think one needs to be consistant. the reason i say this when i get recommended Its because i do a good job, not because am cheap as chips.. " oh that nice fellow will sort it he only charged me £20-00"

this is the problem with our industry we are slowly becoming the worst paid in the trade. you are not ripping anyone off for asking for £65 to diagnose & repair there central heating, this is a complex trade & you need to renew your quals unlike joiners plasterers builders roofers etc all earning more then the average gas fitter these days. so come on everyone stop undercutting everyone an start raising prices back to what they should be.

Not to have a go mate but generally thats a good rate here. We have HRP centres around every other corner so usually 5-10 min away from a part!!!!

Who says were becoming the lowest paid trade? Im earning 600-1000 week in week out.

I get recommended because im good at what i do and most of all VERY RELIABLE.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back