Method for seperating semi-detached houses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - my first post

I live in a 1930's semi and both mine and my neighbours property had the original roofs, with small red tiles. After a bit of a nightmare winter we decided to have the roof replaced this year, but the neighbours couldn't afford to have there's done.

The work was completed last week and to save time and money we went for larger tiles. I had 3 quotes and I'm pretty sure that all three said that they'd seperate the two properties with a "bonded gutter" (think that's the term they used). I discussed the project with my neighbour in advance and relayed the "bonded gutter" intention to him.

If I haven't got the term right, from street level it basically appears to be narrow channel of concrete/mortar (not sure if it's treated) which runs down the slope of both sides of the roof and into the guttering.

My neighbour collared me yesterday and said he's unhappy with the join and wants the two properties seperated by ridge tiles. He says he's worried that it will fail within a few winters. He claims that the use of ridge tiles is a better method, although I've no idea if he's right. I have looked at what other properties in my area have done in the same circs and it seems to be a mix of the two. If anything the ridge method seems to be on older looking jobs.

So, after a long-winded explanation, my question is whether or not my neighbour is correct and should I be worried about what I've had done. I was initially comforted by the fact that all the quotes I got proposed the same method and by the fact that other semi's appear to have been done the same.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Certainly not ridge tiles to join the properties

If you have just a proper joint strip or method and this has been done properly, then he has no complaints.

If you used a propriatary tray with a BBA Certificate, print a copy off for him.

If the work has been done properly, then he can't moan about what may and may not happen at some time in the future. If he is worried, tell him to get his roof sorted out

If you have just a proper joint strip or method and this has been done properly, then he has no complaints.

If you used a propriatary tray with a BBA Certificate, print a copy off for him.

Thank you for your advice.

Some of the terms are lost on me a bit, particularly the "propriatary tray with BBA certificate"?

I've actually been up to have a closer look today. It's a neat "v" shaped cement/mortar gulley a few inches across and all the tiles at either side have been properly pointed. I'm not sure if it should be lined with anything?

I think the problem is that he's seen jobs on surrounding streets where ridge tiles join the two, but they're all old jobs (15-20 years+ at guess).

Underneath the open joint, should be the gutter strip - which is commonly a fibreglass tray or lead. This is the "bonding gutter" mentioned by your roofers

This tray acts as a gutter to channel any rain down to the eaves gutter. It extends sideways under the tiles to collect any rain which may enter the mortar fillet pointing

A tray will normally have an approval certificate ( BBA ) and this is an indication that the item is approved for use, and a sign (for your neighbour) that it is acceptable

FIBERGLASS%20BONDING%20GUTTER%20001.jpg

And here is a BBA certificate for a similar one www.bbacerts.co.uk/PDF/3895i1_web.pdf - see page 13

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for the info. I'm going to contact my roofer tomorrow to relay my neighbour's concerns, so will ask him about this.

Just out of interest, is the joining old and new roofs using ridge tiles an outdated technique? As I said there are quite a few done like that in the surrounding area, but they all look to be quite old jobs.

It's one method, and may be prevalent in certain localities, but I have not seen any for a very long time - tends to be fibreglass trays or lead nowadays

Seems a bit old fashioned now .... and unsightly too

It's one method, and may be prevalent in certain localities, but I have not seen any for a very long time - tends to be fibreglass trays or lead nowadays

Seems a bit old fashioned now .... and unsightly too

My roofer says he used a fibre glass tray on our property and is going to put some docs in the post to me.

I'll nip round and tell my neighbour tonight.

Thanks for the advice woody.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back