DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Advice for Ceiling Repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plastering and Rendering
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
redmen1892

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:35 am Reply with quote

Hi All,

I hoping that someone will be able to give me some advice on how to repair a damaged section of our lounge ceiling. To cut a long story short about 8 months ago, SWMBO left the shower running upstairs water seeped down the side of the curtain through a gap between the bathroom floor and hall and down into the ceiling void. Over time the plasterboard has weakened to the point whereby I have had to remove the light fitting.

How easy for a DIY novice is it to repair the damage, I'm assuming that I'll have to cut away the damaged plasterboard to where it is sound and replace the plasterboard, alternatively as an estimate how much can I expect to pay if I get out a plaster?

Many thanks

Jon Ceiling damage
Ceiling damage
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
PrenticeBoyofDerry

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote

Cut the hole, into a square/rectangle one.
Fit two slats of timber above hole, screwing them to the existing ceiling,
either side of hole, so the timber can the be used to fit to.
Cut the plasterboard to the correct size, make hole for cables, make sure circuit electrics are isolated before you start this work.
Then feed cables through hole, screw up plasterboard to timbers, be sure not to damage the cables when screwing the board up.
Remove about 50mm of the surface plaster finish around the edge of the hole, so exposing plasterboard beneath plaster, this will allow the joint tape to sit on the board and reduce any chance of the repair being uneven. This will be best done by cutting into it with a stanley knife.
Then joint tape the joints, then the area can be filled out and sanded down, using a joint compound such as easyfill or you can purchase smaller ready mixed quantitys at the DIY sheds and merchants.
The compound does shrink on drying, sand down after each application, using 120-150 grit paper. Three applications in total will do the job.
This will allow a nice smooth finish to de primed for decorating.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68520/Sealants-Adhesives/Tapes/Building-Construction-Tape/Plasterboard-Joint-Tape-Scrim-48mm-x-90m?cm

http://www.british-gypsum.com/products/plasterboard___accessories/gyproc_accessories/gyproc_easi-fill.aspx
The following user says thank you to PrenticeBoyofDerry for this useful post:
redmen1892 (1 Sep 2010)
 Alert Moderators
redmen1892

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:17 am Reply with quote

Many thanks for the advice. regards Jon
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plastering and Rendering All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: