New central heating install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting my central heating re-done from scratch and have already installed pipeing to the garage (where the boiler will be installed). As well as some rads and pipework myself (I know my installer well and he's happy for me to do this).

Using Speedfit as it's all going to be hidden. However, when running pipes parallel to joists, should they be fitted to the joists with clips. Or is it acceptable to get them lay on the plasterboard of the ceiling below?

Cheers guys.

Sponsored Links
If you can get access i would use nail on clips, but sometimes you cant

good practice to clip them to the joists mate. Generally speaking without wobbles in the pipes and flowing DOWN to rad positions.

Sponsored Links
when running pipes parallel to joists, should they be fitted to the joists with clips. Or is it acceptable to get them lay on the plasterboard of the ceiling below?
Have a read of the Speedfit product catalogue (2.2MB).

I am NOT a plumber and this is just what I have picked up from this site and various leaflets and catalogues:

I think you are supposed to keep wiring and plumbing at least 50mm away from floorboards and ceilings to allow space for nails and screws to penetrate. It doesn't matter about penetrating any pipe insulation. Using 15mm pipe, I have just fitted clips centred at 60mm below the floor then another set 30mm below that. The clips are spaced 300mm apart horizontally or 500mm apart vertically.

Also, when running across joists, ideally the pipes should pass through holes on the centre line of the joists between 25% and 40% of the span away from the wall. Holes should be at least 3 diameters apart. Use 2 small holes (e.g. 16mm) rather than one big hole.

I don't know if it's required, but I prefer not to run pipes and wires along the same side of a joist. Where they cross, I insulate the pipes and run the cable below the pipe. I don't think it is a good idea to let pipes touch each other or they could rub.

I think you are supposed to keep fittings in their bags until they are used to keep them clean and prevent the lubricant drying out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back