Wiring for a new burglar alarm installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all...

I've recently purchased a wired burglar alarm kit and am looking to save a couple of bob and install it myself. Wiring and installing the various sensors is not a problem, but I have a question regarding the mains supply to the control panel. The supplier included a surface mounted unswitched spur box (3A fuse) with the kit and everywhere I look recommends fitting this on a spur to the ring.

My questions is, eventually(!), what difference is there between fitting a 3A spur from the ring and fitting a standard 3A plug and plugging into a socket - other than the switch? Stupid question maybe, but a 3A spur box is effectively a hard wired plug, no?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
pluging in an alarm as well as being untidy seems like its asking to get unplugged by mistake (resulting in either a noisey power failure notification if the alarm has battery backup or a dead alarm and possiblly an activated external bellbox if it doesn't)

True... but if the plug is secure and doesn't get unplugged will it perform the same function as the spur option?

yeah

one final thing though

using a plug implies using flex make sure you take steps to ensure that flex can't get yanked out of the panel

Sponsored Links
Nothing against it... just strikes me as much easier than hacking a wall to pieces to find the ring!

Anything else I should be aware of?

Could you not put FCU beside the socket you were goint to plug into, and put the flex or fixed wire in trunking It will look so much better than a semi-permanent plug.

You mean connect the spur to an existing socket? Sounds like a fair compromise...

Does the spur length matter? I'm probably looking at around 4m from socket to control panel.

the reason you have a fcu, is to prevent anyone unplugging it, although it will have battery back up, a battery will not last for ever

a 4m long spur will be just fine. If the cable is buried in the wall it should follow an permitted route, or be suitably protected. If its surface, either clipped or trunking, then any route is fine. I'd imagine a 3A fuse and 1.5mm twin and earth or a 3 core 1.25mm flex would be appropriate, depending on the cable gripping arrangements.

Could do but I want to make it minimum hassle :D Surface mounted and trunked sounds the best bet.

Quick question regarding the sensors: I'm going to use one PIR per room on three rooms. Does this means one cable from the control panel to each PIR? If it makes a difference it's 6 core cable supplied and there is 6 terminals on each sensor:

Power +
Power -
Alarm C
Alarm NC
Two tamper terminals

(IntelliSense IS-215T)

depending on make of panel and its requirements.

But it would be the best way, also you should connect one detector per zone / circuit, if you dont, how will you know which one went off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back