Drill/Driver advice required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I was hoping i could get some advice from you guys in regards to cordless drills/drivers.

I'm looking to buy one of these however due to financial restraints, i have a budget of about £40.

I've had a look around a few places and theres several priced within that range, but a lot of these are brands i have not heard off.

I've seen one in Argos, Challenge Xtreme, prices £30, 18v. Has anyone got any experience of this make?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...Cordless+drills+and+screwdrivers|14418778.htm

Or any recommendations for a good drill/driver. I'd be classed as light to medium trade user.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You will break that toy in minutes with any sort of trade use. You'll need a bigger budget than £40.

Sponsored Links
The voltage does not represent the power for cheap tat like that '24V' drill. I suspect my 9.6V makita will easily outperform that. There is only one option for you and I'm surprised Big Al isn't here yet!

Ryobi. Have a look in B&Q they had a twin pack 12V for about that budget. That will be your best bet.

The voltage does not represent the power for cheap tat like that '24V' drill. I suspect my 9.6V makita will easily outperform that. There is only one option for you and I'm surprised Big Al isn't here yet!

Ryobi. Have a look in B&Q they had a twin pack 12V for about that budget. That will be your best bet.

didnt know if i am honest
well i did see it somwhere but forgot :D ;)

keep away from argos for drills,
why?
Argos sell the cheapest drills at high prices for what they are, they break very easy.

B&Q stock some nice drills, probally will be able to get one for your budget, but what i done (the other day) was i found two drills i liked, asked here which to go for, i then priced them up.
this example was just my shop:
B&Q - £200 new for the drill, two 1.3 battarys, charger and case
EBay - £130 inc delivery new, same as above,
EBay- £70 inc delivery, referbed, same as above.

So i ended up getting two for less them B&Q.

but back on subject of what drill to pick, it dose come down to what you what to use it for, you will pay less for corded drills then cordless so work out if you want to plug it in or not.

weight, if your doing light hammer drilling (brick etc) then i always use a drill with a little more weight.
If your drilling/driving timber then somthing lighter.
This, for me, gives me the easy control i like.

Power, This is not everything, it comes down to your drill bits as well, a good drill bit in a lower power drill will out perform a bad bit in a high power drill.

as for makes, Makita and Hitachi are normally the two brands i go for, but, you do pay more for them as they are, in my opinion, the best two going at the moment.

just to finish my post,
If your going with cordless, the 'ah' rating, this basiclly is how long your battery will last, the higher it is (1.3,1.4.2.0 and so on) the longer you go without charging, you also want to try and get two batterys, that way you dont have to wait for charging ;)

hope this helps you a little,
cheers,
Phil

I agree, Ryobi will be an excellent compramise in this situation.

Are you in the trade Iron Naz?

The cheap direct power from Screwfix may seem okay, but you will be sick and tired of the batteries needing constant recharge, everytime you get it out of the van it will have lost its charge or it will run out of juice half way through drilling that last hole on a shower enclosure. :LOL:

Good tools pay for themselves very quickly with the time saved from using them over the cheap tat.

Buy nothing less than Ryobi.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back