Star Lighting in ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I want to create a starlight ceiling in my son's bedroom and seen it done somewhere else but the owner of that house can't remember the details of the guy who installed it. Basically the stars (LED's/fibre optics not sure which) are invisible during the day but light up really bright when on as if through a transparent layer.

Has anyone created this before and if so help me out as to how it's done. I've got some electricians round at the moment who are installing an alarm and other bits and pieces so they could run the wiring for the switch whilst here. I just need to figure out how this star ceiling is created.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I've fitted these these in the past

1mm drill bit, 100's of holes, a lot of F'in & B'in and job was a goodun :LOL:
I wired a socket above the ceiling, and controlled the unit via a remote control switch (lazy) :D

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
just remember... paint the ceiling BEFORE installing the stars... :)

the hard part is getting the constellations right..

Sponsored Links
And remember that you'll need to get the ceiling replastered when he grows up and thinks the stars are "naff"!

TBH the holes are that small that it wont need replastered, certainly on ones I have put in.
Almost the size of a hair strand, paintt just filled it.
Patience is the key in fitting them :LOL:

Fibre optic cables to provide actual illumination will be large and expensive, but the OP just wants little pinpricks of light.

Thanks guys yes it's just a starlight effect I wanted to create a nice effect in the bedroom.

I've fitted these these in the past

1mm drill bit, 100's of holes, a lot of F'in & B'in and job was a goodun :LOL:
I wired a socket above the ceiling, and controlled the unit via a remote control switch (lazy) :D

Are the strands visible in the ceiling when off? Also how did you work out how much to push them through from the loft until they are flush with the ceiling and how did you secure them in place?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Never installed these items, but a reasonable method would be to drill the holes (1mm), push the fibre through from above, then in the room below, apply a small amount of glue to the end of the fibre and push it flush into the ceiling?

Or glue them in then trim the ends flush against the ceiling with a razor blade?

or just buy one of these and avoid all of that installation bother?
http://www.find-me-a-gift.co.uk/astro-star-lamp.html

Right so can the strands be cut flush to the ceilling without any issues? If so I'll just them through each hole, glue in place the trim flush.

if the hole is snug then perhaps you should just push them back flush incase of damaging the paint, or if someone can help you you could push down on them from above and apply some hot glue while someone below keeps them flush??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back