Phone works but no broadband

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK,I have a master socket in the hall way with an ADSL filter plugged in to it,1 cable then goes to the pc upstairs and the other to an extension socket in the living room where the phone is plugged in.
The phone works fine and the pc connects to the intenet with no problems.

I tried to plug a laptop into the extension socket but the modem wouldn't connect,so I tried it in the master socket and it works fine....using the same filter,cable and modem.

What's likely to be the problem ?

cheers
Daz

Sponsored Links
If the living room extension is through the PHONE socket of the filter, that blocks the broadband signal.

You need to run an unfiltered line to the living room, plug in a filter there, and plug the PC into the ADSL side of the filter (which is actually unfiltered) and the phone into the PHONE side of the filter (which blocks the broadnamd signal)

Now you've explained it it seems obvious,cheers for that.

Could I connect the extension cable into the master socket itself rather than thru a filter,would that work ?

Yes, but you'd need a filter to put on the end of it.

Why are you moving the modem to use with the laptop anyway?

Sponsored Links
I have plenty of filters :D

I'm not moving the modem,I'm keep the pc upstairs but I want a laptop in the living room connected to my tv and hi-fi so I can listen to internet radio and stream live sports to my lcd,this seems to be the cheapest way of doing it.

I've come up with a quick,no cost solution,I just remove the filter from the main socket when I want to use the laptop,simples ! :LOL:

This will work wonderfully if you want to cause your broadband to cut out.

You realise dialup costs money usually, yes?

Why will the broadband cut out ? I have a filter on the extension socket.

And which side of the filter are you connecting the modem to? Because if it's the DSL side, there's a good chance you'll introduce noise in ADSL frequencies. If it's the phone side, dialup may not work properly.

I've removed the filter from the master socket and plugged the extension lead in.I've put a filter on the extension socket and plugged in the phone and the modem into the filter.
I can't see how this would cause a problem.

Are you referring to this ?

And which side of the filter are you connecting the modem to? Because if it's the DSL side, there's a good chance you'll introduce noise in ADSL frequencies. If it's the phone side, dialup may not work properly.

the plugs are different aren't they so they can only go in the right way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back