can i renew BT line outside?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The 1950's house i moved into has an old telephone cable going from the pavement to the master socket in the hall. The wire is quite old and is not buried very well over most of the garden and looks in quite a poor state. As the line is currently not active, I dare say il have to call BT or talktalk etc to get it reactivated. Can i ask BT to renew the wire going from the pavement to the house? And if so will they charge me? Also if I dont go with BT but choose someone like talktalk can they attend or is it BT's property?

thanks

Sponsored Links
As a retired BT engineer I can almost be certain that you are not allowed to touch the line outside your property. If you do, when BT find out (it may take years - but they will one day) they will send you a bill for their normal charges at the time its discovered - this will certainly be more than todays costs.
Play safe and contact BT - let them do it.
Re Talk Talk - they will only get BT to do it and then add their own costs to give you a larger bill.

Jaybeebee74

If you have a line installed it will be classed as in situ wiring because there has been a working line at you premises,it is upto openreach to install your line upto the quality standards it will not cost you anymore money,you only rent the line upto the master socket it remains openreach property and is their responsibility to keep it maintained to the quality standards.

Sponsored Links
thanks for that. i did contact talktalk and they advised they only charge £70 for an engineer visit as opposed to BT who want around £130. I guess they are trying to sweeten me into signing up with them.

Although am i right in thinking if i sign up with BT/ talktalk it will be classes as a 'new ' connection and il have to pay a connection fee even though there was a working connection there before?

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back