DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Advice on skimming over rough old plaster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plastering and Rendering
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
analhamster

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote

Hello,
After a bit of practice and a few disasters I can get a nice finish with plasterboard and a skim, for my next project I need to skim over some old plaster. I've removed paper which has left a rough surface, some hollows of variable size, a few holes. There's also a chase which has been filled and stands a little proud. I've knocked off all the loose stuff and sealed with PVA.

My question is, what next? Should I go straight for finish on tacky pva and use a varying thickness with the first layer to smooth the problem areas? Or put a tight coat of bonding round the lot and skim onto that? If bonding, how long should I wait before putting the finish on? Would I need to key it or PVA again?

Basically, how do the pros approach a fairly rough old wall?

Thanks in advance
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
DIYnewbee99

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:44 am Reply with quote

analhamster wrote:
I've removed paper which has left a rough surface, some hollows of variable size, a few holes. There's also a chase which has been filled and stands a little proud. I've knocked off all the loose stuff and sealed with PVA.

My question is, what next? Should I go straight for finish on tacky pva and use a varying thickness with the first layer to smooth the problem areas? Or put a tight coat of bonding round the lot and skim onto that? If bonding, how long should I wait before putting the finish on? Would I need to key it or PVA again?

Basically, how do the pros approach a fairly rough old wall?

Not a pro, but in my humble opinion I would approach with the tight coat of bonding route, as you prob have quite a lot of variation. Some may be skilled enough to go straight for the multi to fill out the variation, but for me I would get a better skim finish if I get a uniform bonding thin undercoat first to provide a stable platform ready for the skim.

You've already PVA'd once, so apply more (tacky etc) just before doing the tight coat of Bonding.
then once the Bonding has darkened it can be immediately skimmed requiring no PVA etc.
Skim coat applied in two layers as usual.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plastering and Rendering All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: