UVPC windows / shock sensors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a 16 year old (wired) burglar alarm system (Optima XM Control Panel) with shock sensors (Aritech) fitted on all my (wooden) windows. As I am shortly having replacement UVPC windows fitted I would like to know:

1. Will these sensors work ok, if re-fitted to the UVPC frames, in the same positions as now ?
2. They are presently secured in the middle, by a single (largish) screw - is it simply a case of re-attaching them to the UVPC frame with an appropriate replacement screw or is any other method possible ?
3. When I start to unscrew the sensors, the alarm will go off (when not "set") how do I "get round" this - do I just enter my code to stop the alarm ?

I would add that I have recently had my annual buglar alarm service and they advised me that shock sensors are not really suitable for UVPC, but I suppose "they would, say that, wouldn't they" as they suggested installing a new replacement system instead !

My present system has always worked fine and I have no wish whatsoever to go to the expense, trouble or "mess" of replacing it.

Any advice (from the experts on here) would be very much appreciated !

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes just put your code in when you take a lid off that will stop the noise, press reset when finished.

As they are vibration sensors they should still work on upvc but check with the glazing company to ensure you don't effect your warranty by screwing them onto the window. I would not recommend glue to fix them on. Also if you have a company that carries a service every year they might not take to kindly to you altering the system. Instead of the units I would put a PIR in the room, but that is only my thought.

Grahame[/b]

Yes just put your code in when you take a lid off that will stop the noise, press reset when finished.

As they are vibration sensors they should still work on upvc but check with the glazing company to ensure you don't effect your warranty by screwing them onto the window. I would not recommend glue to fix them on. Also if you have a company that carries a service every year they might not take to kindly to you altering the system. Instead of the units I would put a PIR in the room, but that is only my thought.

Grahame[/b]

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

What do you mean by "...when you take a lid off" - what is a "lid" ?

I live in a bungalow and the hall is covered by a PIR and all the windows and doors "off" the hall have shock sensors fitted.

Cheers.

Is the units on the window a vibration type or are they like the door contacts.

I presumed you had vibration units on the window with you saying shock sensors. :oops: and i was refering to the cover on the shock sensor. but the answer should still be the same what ever was on wood should work ok on upvc

Grahame

Sponsored Links
Is the units on the window a vibration type or are they like the door contacts.

I presumed you had vibration units on the window with you saying shock sensors. :oops: and i was refering to the cover on the shock sensor. but the answer should still be the same what ever was on wood should work ok on upvc

Grahame

Hi Grahame,

Yes, they are vibration units on the windows.

When you say "cover" - do you mean what appears to be a circular cover (with Aritech on it) on the front face, as I can't see anything else.
If so,what is underneath this cover and do I need to do anything "inside" when I remove and/or re-fit the sensors ?

Sorry to be dim, but I just don't know !

Cheers.
Stuart.

Yes when you take of the circular cover there will be some connections with wires to them try to leave the wires where they are and the unit should be screwed to the window frame.

Yes when you take of the circular cover there will be some connections with wires to them try to leave the wires where they are and the unit should be screwed to the window frame.

Thanks for the confirmation. I will do nothing at all, other than unscrwing the sensors from the existing wooden frames and re-attaching to the new UVPC frames.
Will definitely not start fiddling with any wires !
Cheers.
Stuart.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back