Wiring diagram to light half or all of room?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi- I'd like to have two switches so I can light the entry half of a long room with the first switch, or the whole room with the second one as I enter. Is there a standard layout for this with minimum wiring? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If I read you rightly you have X amount of lights in your room.

You want the capability to either switch some of them on with one switch, or switch them all on with the other.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

Have a look at this it may help you to realise that there is no easy way to do what you propose

You would need to incorporate something like this to make it work really

wanthttp://www.drillspot.com/products/152109/Dayton_5X840-M_Square_Base_General_Purpose_Relay

And even this would have drawbacks as you would need to make sure you don't have a conflict on the supplies to the relay. As you would have the possibility of 2 supplies to it.

Throw this over the the electronic guys on here, over to you lads

Yes- that's exactly what I'm trying to do. Thanks for this. As it looks quite tricky, and I need to get low voltage downlights anyway (I'm getting latest LED so they're not as dim as a glow-worm), I guess whether there's 10 downlights on or 20 won't make a huge difference to the electricity bill anyway.......

You could do this just with a couple of two way switches - no relays are needed.

Supply to both switches' L1 connections.

Link wire from the 'Full Room' switch Common to the 'Entry' switch L2

Outputs to lighting circuits from the two Commons.

When you switch on the 'Full Room' switch, both the full room, and the entry lights will come on (via the L2 of the entry switch).

When you switch on the 'Entry' switch, only the entry lighting will come on.

Not sure there is much point in it though compared with two independent switches...

Sponsored Links
Why not put a 3 position rotary switch on a blanking plate, the positions being OFF, HALF & FULL?

Or use DP switches (may need to use a grid system to get a 2-gang DP) - the FULL switch is the one which needs to be DP, both poles used for live, one to each bank of lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back