optima xm to veritas 8 - won't set

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I had an old optima xm alarm which started playing up, would go off intermitantly either without any prompting or if the heating came on. I managed to reset the board but found it would not set the alarm, you put in your code and the exit tone would start but would never stop.

I presumed the board was knackered so changed it for a veritas 8. Wired the thing up, checked the sounder was working ok etc. Anyway I've come to set the alarm again and at first it would just light up the 4 zones installed and make a dull error like tone, pressed reset and it would set.

However it is doing the same thing as before. the exit tone never stops

What could be causing this?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
I presumed the board was knackered so changed it for a veritas 8. Wired the thing up, checked the sounder was working ok etc. Anyway I've come to set the alarm again and at first it would just light up the 4 zones installed and make a dull error like tone, pressed reset and it would set.

The 4 zones lit is not correct when setting. With all the doors closed and pir's clear there should be no red zone lights on. sounds like the fault is with the zones and not the control unit.

the zones only light when i set the system. Also, this may be a dumb question (as i write this i know it is) should the PIR's be lit when not set etc. as there is no red light.

The pir's themselves will light when you walk infront of them if they have been set to do that.

When you push full of enter your code and push full if doors are closed and rooms with pir's in are clear then NO red zone lights should be on.

Sponsored Links
Do you only have pirs on the system and no door switches ? if so then you may have blown the aux fuse in the control unit so making the zones stay in fault and not clearing.

Well all four zone lights are lit when I do that. Does that mean there is a fault on all four zones.
Nothing has been changed in the installation, just the board and this fault was there before.
Could a fault on the old board produce a fault/damage the sensors?

Well anything is possable.

I take it YOU changed the control unit. Not being funny

Open up the control unit and where Z1 Z2 Z3 Z4 is put a wire link in each like you did for Z5 to Z8 close up the control unit and reset then try to set . All lights should then be off and the setting tone should be normal. Try that first.

there pir's and one door magnet.
I'll check the fuses, hopefully that will solve it, but if the fuse is blown and blows again, i presume there is either a faulty sensor or something is shorting out ?

yeh did change it myself, i'm a spark but don't do much on alarms as you can tell. Good idea, i'll try the links on z1-z4 next.
Cheers

If all is clear then on each zone loop (the 2 wires) using a test meter on ohms you should have a reading of about 2 to 4 ohms on a door contact and prob about 30 ohms on a pir as they have a built in resistor in the pir.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back