New Upvc Door and Window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there.... after a bit of advice concerning fitment of a new upvc rear door, and adjoining window unit.
I,m looking for a reasonable quality, "self fit" type (2G) door/ frame, and adjoining upvc window unit..... to replace the old hardwood door, and galvanised window, that's presently fitted.....
does anyone know of any reputable companies, that supply self fit units, and is this a viable job for myself, on my own..... or would it definitely be a "2" handed job :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Just so you’re aware; fitting replacement windows/doors is notifyable work unless you use a FENSA registered installer. You can DIY but by the time you pay the inspection fee & risk a BI possibly picking holes in your DIY if you’ve not done it right, you should ask yourself if it’s worth the hassle. You will also need to produce a certificate of compliance (issued either by FENSA or your LABC) when you come to sell. ;)

risk a BI possibly picking holes in your DIY if you’ve not done it right

only FENSA members are allowed to certify shoddy work!

seriously building control are generally quite helpful and not "nit pickers" in my experience. key is to have a good chat with them first about what they will be looking for. then make sure you get units that conform to the building regs - ie thermal performance, safety glass etc;
a good local supplier is what you want. ask the make and spec of their frames and glass units and check back here. fitting them is not rocket science but you would want 2 pairs of hands to lift most windows and doors. they are pretty heavy when hung and glazed.

Sponsored Links
I have gone both routes & agree most BI’s are generally helpful but the installation as well as the windows must comply with BR’s so you need to be aware of what’s required. Getting the correct thermal spec. windows is not a problem as I can’t imaging any supplier is making windows outside current spec; you also have to be aware where BR’s require safety glass, trickle ventilation & fire escape; but probably not relevant in this case!

I agree that fitting is not rocket science & competent DIYers will probably make a better job of it than some so called fitters but it will probably take you 2-3 X as long to fit than an experienced fitter. The other problem comes with inexperience & the potential for mistakes if you’ve never done it before; measuring it wrong, not packing the frames correctly when fixing; positioning frames wrongly; adjusting doors correctly & probably worse of all, breaking the glazing unit when trying to fit it or the glazing beads, some of which can be real pigs! :LOL:

If re-glazing an entire property then there is money to be saved but it’s not as much as you might think. You will never get quality units cheaper than a good local DG firm & last time I checked, rates for self employed fitters locally were around £50 per window £70 per door (regardless of size) & that includes old window removal & making good externally! All things considered, you’ve got to decide if it’s worth the hassle especially if fitting just one unit; the LABC inspection fee & materials you will need could well be more than the fitting charge! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back