concrete screed for wetroom installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am finally near to finishing off my new ground floor bathroom and I still have the wetroom floor to level before tiling commences. Since the wetroom area is all new build I have currently have the concrete slab left from the builders and I need to screed the rest in to make level with the existing ground level. A drain has already been put in place and I intend to use Impeys Aqua grade matrix around the drain to ensure I get accurate falls to the middle. My question is what to use for the screed?
The total area is 1.8m x 1.2m, so 2.16m2 in a depth of approx 110mm. So in all not a massive amount but enough to keep me busy. Would a self mixed screed be more suitable? I'm planning on doing it this weekend so just want to ensure Ive got enough mix before I begin.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hello, I am finally near to finishing off my new ground floor bathroom and I still have the wetroom floor to level before tiling commences. Since the wetroom area is all new build I have currently have the concrete slab left from the builders and I need to screed the rest in to make level with the existing ground level. A drain has already been put in place and I intend to use Impeys Aqua grade matrix around the drain to ensure I get accurate falls to the middle. My question is what to use for the screed?
The total area is 1.8m x 1.2m, so 2.16m2 in a depth of approx 110mm. So in all not a massive amount but enough to keep me busy. Would a self mixed screed be more suitable? I'm planning on doing it this weekend so just want to ensure Ive got enough mix before I begin.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Just sharp sand / cement, ratio 3:1 or 4:1.
You don't have to do it in one go. You can add SBR if you want the screed itself to be fully waterproof.
Buy bags of cement as required (B&Q is cheap)
Hire a cement mixer for the day.
As for the amount of sand, others may be able to help.
I always have a bulk bag of sand on hand !
Simon.

Thanks simonjay, although still not sure as to how many bags I'm going to need. If my sums are right i would need approx 2.4m3 in volume. Anyone know how many bags this would equate to?

I have used lafarge mortar mix before to bed into pipe lays which was easy enough and quite cheap at £3.50 a bag.

Jusy want to make sure I go for the easiest / semi-cheapest options before I start the unreversible. I will be tankng the area with BAL WP1 and marmox hardibacker boards so no need to waterproof the screed.

Thanks again

Your calculation is wrong.

If you have an area of 2.16 m2 you would need to be putting down 1100 + mm to need 2.43 m3.

Decimal point wrong place ?

If it's 0.24 m3 that ought to be 350 - 400 kg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back