Is it the head gasket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your help John. Actually the Rover has a Honda engine and it is an automatic. Does that make any difference.

Sponsored Links
Hello Lizbie
The Honda engine is very much more reliable than the K series but, if its allowed to overheat for any reason, the outcome is the same; i.e the head gasket fails.
So if your engine has lost all or some of its coolant at any time, a blown head gasket is the result.
When a gasket blows, it doesn't always mix oil with the coolant but the cooling system is pressurised with combustion gas, with the effect that it releases coolant via the expansion bottle outlet.
One sure test for a garage is for them to test the gas above the coolant in the expansion bottle by bubbling it through a blue coloured solution. If products of combustion are present, the solution turns yellow. This is known as the 'sniff' test!
So, if the cylinder head gasket has blown, its fairly simple to replace. However, if the engine has been fried then the cylinder head casting itself will have distorted, and will need to be machined flat again. Naturally this escalates the price of the repair quite a bit.
The fact that the car is an automatic makes no difference.
John :)

Thanks John,
I think the garage has already done the 'sniff' test and it did turn yellow, so I guess the gasket has gone. I really love my Rover, but don't want to waste money on quite an old car in case something else big goes wrong. I have already replace the fuel tank twice (used replacements) and there is also water getting into the boot somehow. Not too bad now in the summer, but it was awful last winter. Garage could not find the source.

I have seen a Mitsubishi Space Star Auto, X reg, 53,000 miles on the clock, and in fact took it out for a run yesterday. Seemed very smooth, much lighter feel than my Rover of course. Asking price is £1,500 plus my car. Is that reasonable?

Thanks again anyway

Lizbie

Yep, yellow fluid shows a head gasket problem, unfortunately, and the flooded boot usually comes from seals around the rear lights....anyway, it doesn't seem an issue now.
Regarding the Mitsubishi, the price seems keen, but I'd need to know the exact model.....these weren't strong sellers so there's not too many about.
Is the 'X' reg 2000 or 2001?

Sponsored Links
Hi John,
You are a star to give me all this good advice, even though you are miles away in Northumberland, never been there , but I hear it is beautiful.

The Mitsubishi is Year 2000. 1.8. Bodywork seems fine and the local garage has a good reputation. Can't say I love the look of it but needs must ....... I live in the country and do need a car to get around.

Liz

Hello Liz and thank you for the update!
The petrol Space Stars all had GDi (Gasoline Direct Injection) which was, when first produced, ahead of its time. Its getting more common now.
Anyway, the 1.8 vehicle was available in 4 trim styles, and ceased production in 2006. The fact that it has auto transmission has little influence on its value now.
A car dealer could, in good times, ask nearly £2000 for this vehicle. As he is asking little more than trade price (£1500 tops) he obviously has had it standing around for a while. No matter.
Obviously the car's mileage is very much in its favour - 5k miles a year seems good to me! See if you can find out:
If the car was locally owned (the reg plate should give you a clue) and how many owners
Look for service history (hopefully there's some to verify the mileage)
Has it had a timing belt change (due at 54000 miles and vital)
You are only interested if it has 12 months MOT, of course.....
What warranty you can get (limited, naturally - but its the auto transmission that spooks me)
Crash damage.....below the boot carpet from the back, and the paintwork under the bonnet should be matt. The number plates should have the same name on the back and front.
So - my opinion? Good cars, reliable, well built but a bit underpowered, with no real corrosion - does it really have to be an auto? Auto transmission problems essentially mean bye bye car..... :cry:
I hope this helps!
Yep - Northumberland is a glorious, under populated county. Well worth a visit!

Jeez :eek:
Yes, Northumberland is a place worth seeing.....pit heaps as far as the eye can see (I originate from Bedlington Station) :confused: Everyone wears a cloth cap and keeps a whippet, 2 days of summer a year and men everywhere sitting on their hunkers smoking tabs. Bliss!
John :D

Thankyou for all your help John. I will let you know how I get on.

Liz

Sponsored Links
Back