What size of plaster board and how thick ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I am going to remove our old L and P ceiling in our back lounge as it has cracked and some has fallen away. What i wasnt sure of is there any advantage of using 8 x 4 sheets of plaster over smaller ones , the room is 15 ft by 12 , i guess the smaller ones are easier to work with, also what thickness would you recommend, the house is 1913 and not a straight wall in the place ! also what length screws ? ta, finally can i cut the holes for the lighting before having it skimmed over or is it best to wait until the plaster is finished ? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The advantage of 8x4 is that it will be cheaper, its not that difficult to work with really. 12.5mm for ceilings nothing else will do. Anything smaller and it will sag on ceilings, I don't even use 9.5mm for Dot and dab...

Screws will need to be longer, as the joist will be 6-8" wide I am a belt and braces man so go for the longer 2" or so screws.

Cut the holes after plastering, make things a bit easier for your plasterer!

What i wasnt sure of is there any advantage of using 8 x 4 sheets of plaster over smaller ones ,
8 x 4 every time; the least number of joints the better. Use 12.5mm square edge boards rather than 9.5mm; board across the joists; butt close & stagger the boards.

the room is 15 ft by 12 , i guess the smaller ones are easier to work with, also what thickness would you recommend, the house is 1913 and not a straight wall in the place !
Full size boards aren’t as difficult to put up as you would imagine with 2 people, some even do it on their own! A board prop helps, buy one or you can make one up from a lump of 3” x 2”; I’ve even used a stout yard broom before! Smaller DIY board sizes may not suit the joist pitch.

also what length screws ?
3.5 x 40/45mm, drywall screws, fix every 200mm

finally can i cut the holes for the lighting before having it skimmed over or is it best to wait until the plaster is finished ?
Doesn’t matter either way.

Sponsored Links
quote.Doesn’t matter either way.
well writen ,and good advice to :) but i have a problem with the above quote,if the spots are cut out i get coverd in skim dont you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back