Same old question about plaster board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so sorry to ask this but i just have to as i've looked at so many threads on here about what and what not to do i've put myself in a spin. :D

I think it's a simple problem , not even a problem really.
Just finishd doing all the stud wall for our new small extra bathroom . In the corner goes my shower so i need to understand whats the best thing to tile onto . I understand the aqua board is very good but i only need that in the shower area as the rest will be skimmed with plaster.
So i'm thinking all the room will all be in 12.5 normal pb , the shower area in aquaboard and jobs a good un ....yes ?

Then you read another post and they say normal pb and tank it ?

:eek:

Sponsored Links
Your obviously confused which is understandable :LOL: but you have to understand that there are many ways to skin a cat. Before anyone starts, I am a cat lover & I've got one 18 years old :LOL: . Many methods will work equally as good as others but some are a lot less hassle & more cost effective.

In the corner goes my shower so i need to understand whats the best thing to tile onto?
Waterproof tile backer board

I understand the aqua board is very good but i only need that in the shower area as the rest will be skimmed with plaster.
What exactly do you mean by "aqua board"? If it’s just a Moisture Resistant PB then unless you tank it, it will have a limited life expectancy. Generally you should be using Moisture Resistant plasterboard in bathrooms but if you use it in wet areas (your shower), you should tank it if you want it to last. Far better solution is to use a waterproof tile backer board which does not need tanking.

So i'm thinking all the room will all be in 12.5 normal pb ,
No; use Moisture resistant PB but if it’s being plastered, it must be primed first; but any decent plasterer will know that, your task is to find one ;)

the shower area in aquaboard and jobs a good un ....yes ?
If, as I suspect, you mean Moisture Resistant PB then, NO. It's very often used but is a cheapskate solution & not really suitable without tanking if you want it to last more than a few years. I rip a lot of it out & refurbish & it keeps the work coming in so maybe I should keep quiet. If your going to have to tank you might as well use a decent product to start off with, a waterproof tile backer board as above & this will save you the cost of tanking.

Always use quality trade adhesive & grout products of the correct type, not cheapo DIY stuff. ;)

Many thanks for this easy to understand answer RC , on behalf of myself and others in the future ! :D

well that CAT is very well fed and kept..lol..whats his/her name?

but very good advice..

Sponsored Links
well that CAT is very well fed and kept..lol..whats his/her name?
Tommy or Tompuss to be really "girly" & he’s been with us so long it seems unreal. He’s developed intelligence (if that's the word for it) to such an extent we almost speak to each other, (literally) & he's close to celebrating important birthdays along with my kids; eldest daughters 30th on Wednesday. Now I sound like a right prat. :rolleyes:
but very good advice..
Thanks it’s appreciated. ;)

well RICH,,come wednsday you give the CAT a nice pat..(aint going to say stroke lol)..and your daughter a "wee hug and kiss" from tictic.(davie)

god mate you must be in the.. RANGE WITH JIMMY..lol ya pair off AULD GITS...LOL.LOL..enjoy... ;)

Phew.....thanks you 2, i also have read several threads and gone round in circles!
Just to put tompuss amongst the pigeons :LOL: :
If i were to use marmox tile backer on all walls to be tiled, i would not need to tank?
I could just screw marmox tile backer over existing plaster board and would need no further tape etc?
The room was not originally a bathroom, so where i'm not tiling i will need to screw Moisture resistant PB over the original plasterboard??
Again, i assume i will not need to tank or anythng, just let the plasterer skim as normal?
The tiler has een the room and not suggested any of the above, will he have assumed it was all done ready, or is he incompetent?? We have 600x400 travertine so can't afford to mess up!!! :eek:
Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back