High Frequency light batterns

A

abdef

I've just bought some 6ft high frequency light batterns to replace some existing units.

The original units are of office type with a silver grille/diffuser fitted. They are large, maybe 10" wide, and look nice, I guess.

My new battern fittings and the same length but about 2" wide.

Rather than have to remove the old batterns and paint the unpainted plaster, etc.

Can I swap the 'gubbins' over inside?

Sponsored Links
I take it they are both T8 fittings ?

If the old ones were switch-start then some rewiring will be required if you really want just to replace the gear.

Are they in an office environment, as I hope the new ones have Cat2 diffusers as well ?

T8, that's the bulb fitment right? I'm not at my workshop, but I'm sure they are the same.

It's not an office, it's an upholstery workshop.

Once I get to work, I can take a look inside bith units, to see if it looks possible.

But I just wanted some advice to see if anyone had a definate no, or yea it's possible.

The box (battern) just holds all the stuff together, right?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can, you should be able to keep the existing lampholders and wiring, it will save a bit of work. And of course, you've blown any guarantee.

Great, I was hoping I could leave the lamp holders and wiring in place.

The last time I opened a battern, all I remember seeing was a white/cream box in there where the wires come from.

Is this the unit that needs changing over?

I have new tubes too.

I've just opened up one of the new fittings and it all looks similar to others I've seen in the past, apart from the box inside is much, much larger.

All the wiring as I remember looks pretty uch exactly the same.

I think it will work, just need open up an existing unit to make sure it will all fit in correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back