central heating drain or regular tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have two taps in my garden and I think one of them might be the main central heating drain (I moved in recently, so I don't know the house, and I can't find any other drain point).
What is a sure way to tell whether the water from the taps is regular water or central heating water? The water is clear from both taps, but so is the water from the radiators.

Sponsored Links
Hot water OFF
Central heating ON
Wait 15 minutes.
Open tap. If hot, then central heating.

post a pic :idea:

no time to take pictures now, but they both look like perfectly regular garden taps, the kind with a thread to attach a hose adapter.
Really, I'm looking at some test to do on the water, to check whether it is plain water or with inhibitor added.

Sponsored Links
what type of system do you have combi etc ?
maybe just a hot/cold taps.
have you tried isolating hot/cold to see if either stop running ?

Got a customer with an E Type and a MKII (Morse type).

When he moved house, he wanted outside hot and cold taps so that he could keep his motors properly cleaned. Garage also heated!

you don`t clean cellulose sprayed cars with owt but cold water :idea: . He probably had a 2 pack respray and doesn`t want cold hands in the bucket :rolleyes: You don`t polish in circles, either :idea: . Used to spend the summer hols in a garage bodyshop/new car prep. Learned a bit about those new 60`s cars :LOL:

Not sure if its 2 pack or not. Seem a bit shiny for cellulose. Mind you, he's always polishing them, so perhaps thats why.

We're lucky to have modern paint on cars now. Spent the best years of my life cutting and polishing so that old Triumphs, etc would be shiny, and not matt! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back