Wall socket (permanent) removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm hoping someone can offer some advice.

I'm looking to permanently remove a double wall socket, that was added to the house a few years ago.

After some investigation, I found that the (single) cable for the new socket goes off under the floor boards to a location I don't think I'll easily have access to.

I was wondering if i could just remove the cable from the socket box (technical term????), and terminate it somehow, leaving it under the floor boards?

Some one has given me what looks like a simple connector for connecting 2 pieces of (3 wire) cable (like this) and suggested i wire the cable into one side, and then possibly wrap up with electrical tape and then leave it all in tact under the floor boards. Does this sound a suitable/safe solution?

Sponsored Links
If there must be absolutely no visible trace of the socket then you could cut the cable and terminate it in a plastic adaptable box under the floor with butt crimps on the end of the cores. Alternatively, terminate with crimps and then heatshrink over. I don't particularly like either of these solutions, or leaving a 'dead leg' in the circuit at all, but the above suggestions should *just about* be compliant with the regs.

It sounds very much like a spur off a ring final, try looking at the rear of the sockets in the area where the cable goes. If you find one with three cables try disconnecting one at a time and (using a meter or circuit checker)WITH THE POWER OFF test which one goes to the redundant socket. You can then totally remove by cutting the cable where it can't be re-used.

Sponsored Links
If there must be absolutely no visible trace of the socket then you could cut the cable and terminate it in a plastic adaptable box under the floor with butt crimps on the end of the cores. Alternatively, terminate with crimps and then heatshrink over. I don't particularly like either of these solutions, or leaving a 'dead leg' in the circuit at all, but the above suggestions should *just about* be compliant with the regs.

As mentioned, all visible trace of the original socket needs to go.

I'm not sure that I understand the terminology (plastic adaptable box / butt crimps)...

Would it be acceptable / safe / within regulations to remove the cable from the socket, terminate with a connector strip, and then possibly attach a plastic (back???) box to a joist, insert this terminated cable into it, and then cover with a blanking plate? All under the floorboards attached to a joist?

I'll also check the other socket as suggested, though I suspect that its attached to a junction box (if I remember correctly - I'd have to lift the carpets and a floorboard up to check).

As I'm no electrician, I don't want to just remove it from the junction box without knowing exactly what I'm doing / the consequences - Hence trying for the above solution.

Would it be acceptable / safe / within regulations to remove the cable from the socket, terminate with a connector strip, and then possibly attach a plastic (back???) box to a joist, insert this terminated cable into it, and then cover with a blanking plate? All under the floorboards attached to a joist?

Sorry to bump, but is the above acceptable / safe / within regulations?

You shouldn't have a JB under the floor, if you know where it is (and by the sound of it you do) then your best bet (short of replacing the entire length of cable) would be to remove the JB and re-make the cables using the correct ratchet crimping tool (eg, cheap one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CABLE-WIRE-CR...ls_Supplies_Electrical_ET&hash=item5d2a25b422 ) and insulated butt crimps ( http://www.screwfix.com/prods/70554...s/Crimps-Terminals/Crimp-Red-Butt-Pack-of-100 ) use red for the earth and blue crimps for the live and neutral (for 2.5mm2 cable) , covered with heatshrink sleeving or at least self amalgamating tape.

Peeling back a carpet to access a board which has previously been lifted is not as much of a hassle as it sounds, and you will have to do this anyway if you were to terminate the dead leg under the floor. Usually the board(s) that have been lifted are easy to spot.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back