Consumer Fuse Vs Appliance Fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since they are of same rating,how do you explain to a layman the difference of a a 5Amp consumer unit fuse and a 5Amp appliance fuse.
a) I know the price is different b) physically one appears to be bigger than the other,

but what else, why they cannot be interchangeable if they have the same rating . Thanks .

Sponsored Links
If they were the same size then someone would most likely put a 10 or 13 amp in

I believe the breaking capacity is different, i.e. the maximum amount of current the fuses can interrupt without exploding etc.

They both have different characteristics in terms of how much current and for what period of time is required to blow the fuse. Just because two fuses have an identical rating, it does not mean they will both operate the same in the event of fault or overload current.

I think the argument that they are different to prevent an incorrectly sized fuse being inserted into the holder is fairly moot, as the majority of fuses of a particular type are the same physical size regardless of their current rating.

Sponsored Links
Since they are of same rating,
They aren't, which is where anything you try to explain on that basis will go wrong.

how do you explain to a layman the difference of a a 5Amp consumer unit fuse and a 5Amp appliance fuse.
By getting him to understand fusing factors, breaking capacity, let-through energy and time-current curves.

Once you've done that it'll be quite simple to explain that BS 1361 fuses are not the same as BS 1362 ones.

why they cannot be interchangeable if they have the same rating . Thanks .
They don't have the same rating.

I think the argument that they are different to prevent an incorrectly sized fuse being inserted into the holder is fairly moot, as the majority of fuses of a particular type are the same physical size regardless of their current rating.
BS 1361s aren't. (Well, 15A & 20A are the same).

BS 1361s aren't. (Well, 15A & 20A are the same).

Yup, you're right, I notice now that the OP was referring specifically to "consumer unit" fuses rather than just fuses in general. The other points still stand, though.

I must have seen countless hundreds of 13A 1362s stuffed into a 1361 fuseholder.

Well, not all in the same fuseholder, you understand... :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back