LED Heated Mirror Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping someone could inform me of current regs regarding a heated bathroom mirror?
I'm intending on running it from the existing lighting circuit (120w max) and using an 'invisible' switch behind a wall tile to activate the heater element when needed. But do i also need means of isolations within the bathroom (zone 3) to conform to current regs or will the 'invisible' switch itself be enough?

Link to hidden switch www.sensor.co.uk

Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
I'm hoping someone could inform me of current regs regarding a heated bathroom mirror?
The most significant ones are the Building Regulations. Unlike the Wiring Regulations they are actually law, and the work you propose to do is notifiable.

using an 'invisible' switch behind a wall tile to activate the heater element when needed.
Do you really have a £65 dislike of ordinary switches?

But do i also need means of isolations within the bathroom (zone 3) to conform to current regs or will the 'invisible' switch itself be enough?
I'd have one, aginst the day that a fault in it otherwise takes out the lighting circuit. You may find that the installation instructions require it to be on an FCU anyway.

Personally I would not use a separate switch. You will not know if the mirror is on or not.
You could go away on holiday and leave it on.

Most mirror heaters are connected to the switched live of the lighting circuit so that the mirror heats up when the lights go on.
Mine gets up to temp in 3-4 minutes so I can see my loverlee phizzog when I get out of the shower.

Most mirror heaters are connected to the switched live of the lighting circuit so that the mirror heats up when the lights go on.
Mine gets up to temp in 3-4 minutes so I can see my loverlee phizzog when I get out of the shower.

But that would mean me having to turn the light on every time i use the shower and it's going to have plenty of natural light in there. Unless i wire it into a 15 minute timer and turn the light on > then off whenever i wash?
Perhaps a half decent looking fused switch on the wall will suffice, but that would ruin the whole look of the bathroom.

Sponsored Links

Not particularly. It's going to be a fairly high spec'd bathroom and if i'm going to pay good money for a fancy mirror with pretty LED's and a 'super-heater' stuck to that back of it, I don't want to see a white pull cord dangling in the middle of the room.

Not particularly. It's going to be a fairly high spec'd bathroom and if i'm going to pay good money for a fancy mirror with pretty LED's and a 'super-heater' stuck to that back of it, I don't want to see a white pull cord dangling in the middle of the room.

That's fair enough, but you'll have to remember to turn it on a couple of minutes before you need a shave in order for the mirror to properly demist. As you probably wont remember to do that, it makes more sense for the heater pad to come on with the lights.

What are you going to do for the light switch, fan switch, shower switch/isolator, heated towel rail isolator, UFH thermostat, shaver socket....

Plus if this is a switch for the mirror, and you want a concealed proximity one, why not have it on the back of the mirror?

How will the led's on the mirror be switched on and off, if there is a switch on the mirror for this and it is on the 230V side, which it should be, then can you take the heater feed from there? that way your mirror light will also be on as a tell tale for when the mirror heater is on?

Switch in the mirror is the best option, motion sensor types are available, decent makes of this type of mirror have the switch already built in.
That way, the heater is only on when the mirror lights are on, so it is obvious when it is on/off.

Of course, heating a mirror is a complete waste of energy and is another example of fixing the wrong problem.
A polycarbonate mirror would solve the condensation problem with no need for any switches or heaters.

or rub a flannel with a little soap on it over the mirror, this not only gets rid of the condensation but also cleans the mirror. you could install some spotlights pointing at the mirror to heat it though.

Or just get some decent extraction going...

I've never had any mist in my bathroom.

A mirror above a sink is always going to mist up. These heater pads are a good idea IMO, and demist it in seconds.

Extraction will not sure a misted mirror above a sink.

It's been almost a year - maybe the OP can tell us what he did, and how well it works?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back