Hot Water too hot, temp regulator not working?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an old open vented central heating system I believe. Water tanks in the loft and airing cupboard, baxi back boiler downstairs in the living room. It's been fine since we moved in (6 month ago), but recently I noticed hot water is much hotter than usual. There is a small regulator next to the water tank in the airing cupboard in our master bedroom which can be turned clock and anticlockwise from 1 to 8, we've always had it set to 2 as that gave us the right temperature, but now whatever I set hot water comes out very hot. BTW heating has been off for all summer and timer is set to heat water for 1 hr in the evening. Would replacing that regulator fix the problem, do we need to drain the system for that, how much would it cost? Appreciate any advice, many thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's on the pipework and it's connected also to the water tank by a thin wire. I can post a picture when I get home from work.

Sponsored Links
stuck :?: hmmm
what are the chances that a few bashes with a hammer might fix the problem :evil:

yep, that's exactly what I have. Thermostatic valve with remote sensor it is than, hope it's not a pain (messy, difficult, time-consuming, expensive) to have it replaced

Its a "Tapstat" and a doddle to change.Drain down to just below the valve and 2 unions are all you have to contend with.Bunging the feed and exp tank is another method and will ensure little water loss from your system.

thank you all for your replies, really appreciate it.

I think I'll get a plumber to do the job and possible install a new pump at the same time since the one we have is quite noisy, even set to low you can clearly hear water running through the pipes and radiators. I've been thinking about it for a while, now I have a good reason to do both :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back