Installing a cooker extractor fan - removing a brick!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a new kitchen, and the current cooker extractor fan vent runs beneath the ceiling along the wall. I want to run the vent directly above the hood and above the ceiling and below the floor on the room above to the outside wall. The current position of the vent will have to be moved on the outside wall.

How easy is it to remove the brick(s) in order to create a new hole in the wall and run the vent from there? What tools will I need etc.

Sponsored Links
Firstly I assume the vent pipe will be running parallel to the joists?

To remove the brick you could use a plugging chisel and lump hammer. Its often easier if you use a masonary bit to drill holes in the mortar at regular intervals around the brick first.

Yes it will run the same way.

Thanks for your reply - I will take your advice.

doni

Unless it is a single brick wall, which is unlikely, you will have to remove 2 bricks, because of the way they are bonded, this can be a nasty little job. I agree drilling the bricks with a masonry drill is the easiest way.

Sponsored Links
I did this job a couple of weeks ago, I borrowed a core bit which drilled a neat 100mm diam. hole, then I used some 100mm flexi ducting. It was pretty straightforward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back