How long does a Glowworm 18HXi condenser boiler last?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening.

How long does a Glowworm 18HXi condenser boiler last? It was fitted end 2004. Someone has suggested fitting a new combi boiler so that the loft water tank and some pipework can be removed. But the 18HXi is only 5 years old.

Sponsored Links
what is wrong with the boiler for them to say it needs to be changed? is there any reason why the tanks in the loft have to go?

I'd probably say 10 years+ as all parts are changeable. You are thinking about changing your boiler type nothing wrong with your current one.

Or were you thinking of trying to sell it :)

Cheers

Who is the someone?

A 2004 Hxi probably needs its silcone burner compartment door seal replacing with a graphite one if its not been done already. Is there any rust in the bottom of the casing from leaking condensate. If thats all OK and a flue gas analysis checks out OK I'd say your money was far better spent making sure all the other controls are up to scratch and the cylinder and pipes insulated, and the loft insulation improved if required

I'd prefer your setup to a combi anyday. My Ideal Turbo 2 heat only condensing boiler is 18 years old now. If it conks out from now on I'd forgive it, but getting rid of a 6 year old boiler (quite a good boiler as well) makes no sense unless it has multiple faults that can't be resolved for some reason.

Who is this 'someone'?

Alfredo

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

A loft is being boarded to provide storage. Theres a water tank and piping in the way. A plumber looking to reroute the pipes and renew the tank to a smaller tank suggested a combi boiler.

Why not just convert to pressurised Central Heating system and put in an unvented HW cylinder replacing your current cylinder (subject to your cold main pressure and flow being OK for unvented) . This gets rid of all your loft tanks and gives you a dogs danglers system. Far far better than a combi IMHO.

Just my tuppence worth.

Alfredo

Yes thanks. Is that Megaflow? The pipe from the mains would need to be renewed for a megaflow so the cost for your dogs danglers system becomes prohibitive at present, but might form part of a larger scale project later. Thx.

Thanks.

A loft is being boarded to provide storage. Theres a water tank and piping in the way. A plumber looking to reroute the pipes and renew the tank to a smaller tank suggested a combi boiler.

Plumber would rather you spent a couple of thousand doing that and line his pocket rather than he has to do a bit of work in your loft for a couple of hundred quid.

:rolleyes:

Yes thanks. Is that Megaflow? The pipe from the mains would need to be renewed for a megaflow so the cost for your dogs danglers system becomes prohibitive at present, but might form part of a larger scale project later. Thx.

This takes us quite a long way from the question you asked in the first place though, which was how long an 18 Hxi will last. Its always helpful to get the whole picture if you want the most helpful replies. Could be that a combi is the easiest option for you from what you are saying.

Alfredo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back