Baxi Platinum Combi 40 HE A or Vaillant ecoTEC plus 837

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having got a handful of quotes to replace our old Ideal Elan 2 and switch to a combi system, I've narrowed it down to two. There's nothing between them on price but one is for a Baxi Platinum Combi 40 HE A and the other is for the Vaillant ecoTEC plus 837.

We live in a 3 bedroom detached house with a bathroom, en suite, kitchen and utility room. We have 10 radiators in total. The house is a standard Persimmon about 20-25 years old and actually gets very cold in the winter downstairs, although this seems mainly down losing heat through the open stair off the lounge/diningroom.

We will have Mira Excel mixer showers in the bathroom and ensuite and would often run these simultaneously. I don't have a measurement but everyone who has been out has said we have good water pressure.

Any advice on which boiler you think is best for us would be really appreciated?

Sponsored Links
I'm in a very similar situation - just the one shower though. I was also considering the Veissmann 200-W.

The question is as vague as asking which is the best car! Individuals have their own preferences rarely based on hard facts.

I would suggest the Vaillant 937 !

The Viessmann are also very good and the 222 would be a very good choice.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks so far, doing a bit of research online, the Vaillant seems to be one of the most recommended and there seem to be a few horror stories about Baxis reliability, although I've not heard any about the 40HE. I've been offered a 5 year warranty on both but reliability is still obviously a big deal as being stuck with no heat or hot water in the middle of winter isn't much fun, whether you've got to pay for the repair or not. The Baxi seems to be a bit more powerful and the flow rate is marginally higher but not sure we would notice the difference.

fitted a fair few of the platinum.. Very good tbh... Would say to goto the VIESSMANN 200 tho. About to rip out my 100HE and fit one in my own home.

Baxi horror stories were from the Suprima which was sorted out. Still better than Worcester in my eyes.

HTH Gareth :)

Check the floW rates quoted:
Vaillant qoute for a 42 degree rise.
Most others (not sure about Baxi) quote a 35 dergee rise in DHW temperature.

Know which one I' d recommend though. Cue the sales reps. :) :) :)

Cheers

Thanks for that flowrate advice, the Baxi is based on 35, so with the Vaillant based on 42, I would have thought it would give our showers a bit more clout.

fitted a fair few of the platinum.. Very good tbh... Would say to goto the VIESSMANN 200 tho. About to rip out my 100HE and fit one in my own home.

Baxi horror stories were from the Suprima which was sorted out. Still better than Worcester in my eyes.

HTH Gareth :)
the suprima was a potty ;)

Neither for me. I'd fit the Avanta Plus 39C, if you really need that much power for your HW and you have a good enough flow rate.

now now not then they didn't :LOL: :LOL:

LOL smart ass :D I didnt know that tho tbh hee hee

The only reason i mentioned it is because most custs i seem to goto know that Potterton are owned by Ba i.

When i was recommending Ba i they kept refering to the Suprima Watchdog review in which i have to e plain that the probs were old and have been rectified/ dont concern Ba i

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back