Ceiling Fan/Light - Is Extra Wiring Needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon

My sister and her partner have bought a ceiling fan/light unit for their living room, however the wiring diagram is rather confusing as their are two switched lives, one for the fan and one for the light as follows:

Supply Fan/Light Unit
E Green Earth
N Blue Neutral
SW Brown Fan
SW Red Light

L

Is this suggesting extra wiring i.e. an extra sw wire for fan?

Pull cords are built into it already, although will be high on the ceiling

The instructions also say for it to be controlled by a DP switch, but all light switches are SP, how is this achieved?

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The fan can be switched via pull cord (extended if at height) or if that is un sightly via a switch, some even go via a dimmer module to allow speed control.

In the mid winter you won't won't the fan on- so the user has to decide if lamp[ on / off via the switch and either pull cord, switch or dimmer for the fan.

If switch or dimmer then additional switch wiring will be required between the wall switch and the fitting.

MK do 20amp dp single (K4867 WHI) and double switches (K4868 WHI), although the double tend to be order in since they are a rare use product.

You'd need to use a DP isolator in the supply cable or a 3P isolator like you see in a bathroom.
I don't think a twin DP isolator will be much use as the neutrals are common for both the fan and light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back