Optima xl6 replacing battery problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello

I've just replaced the battery as it was dead. I unplugged the battery and put the new one in and as soon as I connected the positive the bloody thing went off.

Eventually after a power reset and reconnecting the battery the unit is on but not responding. All lights are lit apart from zones 1 and 2 and the keypad is now silent and doesn't respond.

If I kill the mains, nothing changes. Lights still the same. Power attack tamper day 3 4 5 6 all on, 1 2 off.

Any ideas?

Thanks[/img]

Sponsored Links
Have you tried powering up with the battery only whilst holding down the tamper spring, then reseting

Check the little glass fuses. A new battery will often blow them. (lucky lil fuses :LOL: )

also with the older (and some of the newer) ADE (advance design electronics, AKA phillips) control panels,
the SAB / SCB connections are sometimes also a problem

if the external siren battery connecte to the SAB/SCB can fail and this will cause power loading to that part of the circuit,
the Microprocessor monitors all parts of the system including the SAB/SCB if the loading goes to high,
the watchdog feature locks the keypad and prevent the user from accessing the system in any way

the way to check if the SAB/SCB id faulty is this way:

remove all connections on T A D B
connect a link of wire between T and A
replace the battery
YES the panel will make a noise, put in your code
THEN, hold down the tamper switch,
if the panel then returns to DAY MODE
release your finger, yep it will make a noise again
silence it with your code

now you have to either change the SAB / SCB
or just the battery

when you have done this (either)

replace the cover
re connect the mains
and test

hope this works

John

Sponsored Links
Thanks all,

It was indeed the fuse. I changed one of them and all is good.

But i wonder if someone could clarify, what is the correct shut down, battery replacement sequence.

When i tried to replace the battery i powered down the mains
I remove the battery
Put the new battery in, soon as the positive terminal was connect the internal and external alarm went off
Couldn't be silenced by my code or default code
So
Unplug battery again
Try main power, every goes off - turn that off
Try battery again, same thing
So
Check fuse - ahh it's blown, replace
Plug in battery, nope, all hell breaks loose
By now i know the outside box knows it's been tampered with

So i think, ok well i'll leave battery out and power off overnight to allow it to loose memory and reset.

Come the morning,
The battery goes in, goes through boot up sequence, great i think
Alarm goes off, no problem, enter default code
Back to normal - Day mode
Replace cover
Enable mains power
Change security code
All good to go

Could i have done anything differently to avoid the internal alarm going off and having it leave it overnight. I assume not as i dont have the engineers code.

Leave the mains connected. Just replace the battery.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back