Advice on boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am having central heating installed into my home (just bought and being renovated).

I have had quotes from £9,000 down to £2,000 and as I'm slightly clueless I hoped someone could give me some advice on what we need.

It's a 3 bedroom, with a small lounge and dining room. We currently have one bathroom but are going to extend o we have a bigger kitchen and a downstairs bathroom shower.

In my parents house if you turn on the water downstairs the hot water upstairs goes cold. So I want to avoid that at all costs also I would like a strong flow.

The house currently has storage heaters, a tank and immersion heater

Any advice on what I should get would be welcome. I understand I need a proper Corgi regged fitter. But a few pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
9k bloody helll

It all depends on your existing water flow rates. If you have good flow rates/pressure, i would be going for the VIESSMANN 222, stored hot water and a 5 year garauntee if fitted by a approved fitter.

Where are you? What has been spec'd so far?

Gareth

Thanks. British Gas was the most recent quote at just over £5,000

This was for a combi boilers, sorry I can't recall which ones. Plus 7 radiators.

So far I have felt Im dealing with dodgy car sales people who take advantage of my ignorance.

In an ideal world I would like to buy the boiler myself and just pay for the fitting and extras. Not sure if thats a good move.

I just find it difficult to trust people, thats no reflection on the profession but the quotes have been so far apart.

Im in London

BG robbing barstuwards... The prob with you buying the mats is you will pay more than we will.

Combi's are good but can suffer with flow probs when multi outlets are used. Unvented cylinder would be ideal as in the 222. The 222 is 1700 on its own but you get what you pay for.

Pitty im too far to have a look for you.

Sponsored Links
I would like to buy the boiler myself and just pay for the fitting
BAD idea for lots of reasons. It wouldn't save you money.

You'll need a new HW cylinder, and there are lots of decent boilers these days.

If you don't have a combi you'll need a pump or mains pressure cylinder (£££) to get a good flow. A combi would give you good flow for one shower but not with any other tap on at the same time, probably.

£4500 upwards I'd have thought, but not 9.

How can you mention Ideal in the same bracket as WB or Vailiant? Viessmann's are great boilers , we have put loads in with no probs at all.

we will see if there great boilers in 5 years. like you lot keep telling me about the logic. an no sooner.

i remenber the 100 that was a piece of junk. :rolleyes:

well I would get an Intergas boiler. have installed them as both combi and system/OV boilers and are very good boiler imo.

Viessmann's are nice boilers too but it is Intergas is first choice for me.

ideal have many many years to go before they have any creditability. for VioletG sake we better explain that ideal have been making very poor boilers for many years over multiple modals. they got this new boiler but it will take many years before we will know what hidden nastiness it has.

what ever which way you go, try and get weather compensation and/or a modulation room stat (open therm for many boilers)

the most important thing above all else is to get it installed well as that is the key for a long life

The most important thing is to get a suitable system for your needs.

Until the mains dynamic flow rate has been measured no one can advise if a combi type boiler will be suitable, quite possibly not.

I would say that you may have a problem when you are only dealing with people trying to sell you something. I wonder if they told you that there is a small grant towards installing a gas system to replace electric?

It might be worth paying an independent person to assess your situation and advise what type of system is best for your needs. Generally a stored system is best if you want to run two baths/showers together.

Tony

In my parents house if you turn on the water downstairs the hot water upstairs goes cold.
That's what happens when you heat the water straight from the mains and the flow is not sufficient for more than one outlet at the same time. If you are having a bathroom and a shower, then a combi is not a good idea as you could easily suffer the same problem as your parents.

we will see if there great boilers in 5 years. like you lot keep telling me about the logic. an no sooner.

i remenber the 100 that was a piece of junk. :rolleyes:

You are talking about the old hundred which was scrapped and re-designed completely (typical German engineering) Where as ideal just rectify the crap with more crap.....
?
Why are you so asphixiated with IDEAL mate? Take a visit to both the factories maybe you will change your mind..

I should think Dr Viessmann could buy Ideal out - if he wanted to.

Why should he buy a company which has made so many unreliable boilers over the last 15 years?

Now I wonder what he would think of Wolves?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back