Sealing gap betwen skirting and wood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We got a solid oak floor laid in April. There is a small gap between the skirting boards and the floor (though it's a fairly visible gap in one area - it's an old house and the original floor is uneven).

What would be an appropriate sealant to fill these gaps? The floor layer said not to seal them but - and I'll be honest here - there's been a couple of bloomin spiders get in under the gaps and being absolutely phobic about spiders - I say fill the spaces!!!!

Would appreciate guidance in an appropriate sealant before I go and shove either cauk or silicone in it!!! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
if YOU have to seal it up you defo want something that will move the the joinery or you will be foreever filling the cracks.

Thank you. Gap Master is on order and hopefully winging it's way to me.

Hopefully that will end the invasion of the eight legged variety!!! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
You can get it in different colours & does the job fine (& prob cheaper tham gap master)

The problem with Silicon is that, in the future when you want to overcoat your floor with more lacquer or oil, or even maintenance products, the water repellance of the silicon repels these products leading to spotty effect where the over-coating product balls up.
For the extra pound or two it's worth finding the right stuff.

TT

Believe it or not - I've still no Gap Master! I had a sod of a job trying to find it to order and the company I ordered it from haven't sent it out (though I've paid for it).

Is there anything else that would do the job - another make or something? I was just about to go buy Polycell Flexible Gap Filler - but thought better of it. I don't want to go and put the wrong stuff on cos the floor was expensive.

Can't believe that they haven't sent that out - ordered it on 18th September - three e-mails, three phone calls and eventually they told me that they don't even have it in stock! Now I've just to try and get a refund out of them!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back