How to remove masking tape from glass?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have been desperately trying to remove masking tape on the glass panels in the bathroom door (one side of the glass is patterned).

The tape has been on there for a minimum of a year (thanks to my now EX partner but this wasn't the only reason I finished with him!) and I have tried scraping with a blade using turps, nail polish remover, even WD40 as suggested by a work colleague! I have now bought a window scraper but the job is still so fiddly and time consuming as I have to pick the tape off in tiny bits and still a glue residue remains on the glass.

Any more ideas please?

Sponsored Links
Yes I soaked all of the tape before using the blade - I just end up getting the blade stuck under the tape!! Ggrrr! I have now taken to using gin ..............a large one with tonic while I sit and wonder how to remove the tape - a much better idea lol !

I would be using the blade on dry tape/glue..
Have another gin & try 2morrow

Sponsored Links
Sounds very good advice to me! Thanks for your help - enjoy the rest of your evening. Cheers!

In the past I have used Dulux trade brush cleaner to help to break down the glue- you can only buy it from the Dulux Decorator Centre.

Cellulose thinners will be easier to get hold of.

Alternatively try limonene based cleaning agents, a byproduct from citrus fruit.

eg sticky stuff remover gel, available form robert dyas, Wilkinsons etc

http://www.desolvit.co.uk/pages/sticky_stuff_remover.htm

You will still need a stanley blade/scraper but the glue will be softer once the product has soaked in.

Standard masking tape is only UV safe for about a day. After that the light will harden the glue- as you have discovered. The blue masking tape is good for about 3 days

Thank you 'opps' - there's lots of things to try there! I think a big lesson has been learnt now - remove masking tape the same day!! Cheers!

wow!!!

Have only just noticed that the tape has been there for a year.

You say that you hace already used nail polish remover which I think is cellulose.

Is the tape on the smooth side of the glass?

A gel might be better than a liquid as you can "paste" it on and leave it for ages. It might take a number of applications.

A low setting on a heat gun might help but there is a massive risk of the glass cracking, a hair drier might be safer. These should be seen as a make or break (literally) last resort.

BTW glass bathroom door- very bohemian...

'Fraid so - the tape is on both sides, and one side has a 'bobble' pattern, and has been on there for more than a year thanks to my 'ex' - got accused of nagging when asked to remove it so now having to finish all the jobs round the house (its proving to be good therapy lol!). And as you know, we females NEVER interfere when DIY is going on ...... !!

Mmm "glass bathroom door- very bohemian..." well, I like things being different ........... just wish the tape removing was easier!!! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back