Peeling Bathroom Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
As I mentioned on a previous post, my painted bathroom ceiling is peeling off. I'm presuming this is because I followed the plaster's instructions and gave it a first coat of watered down PVA once the plaster had dried. I would appreciate advice as to how to rectify this mistake. Do I remove all of the paint or just the large areas of cracked or peeling paint? Will I then have to sand the ceiling to minimise the difference between the area with paint and the bare areas? What do I do about the layer of PVA I slapped up and will it effect the next coat of paint? I'm thinking about using Zinsser Solvent All Coat because I already have it to hand but what should I use as a final coat?
Thanks,
Becka

Sponsored Links
Becka,I would scrap the loose as much as possible,sand the remains as vigarous as possible then coat with Zinseer as you have or oil based undercoat,let dry thorough then add you preferred top coat,probably best would be a eggshell type,others may disagree.Hope this helps.

If your plasterer seriously recommended that, he's either no plasterer or you seriously ****ed him off. PVA under paint = a seriously big mistake.

Sponsored Links
I'm always very hospitable to people who do work in the house! I think he may of been rubbish because the next plasterer did a fantastic job and his finish was faultless. He also kept on adding money to the job which he'd been to see and quoted for. I reckon he knew that because we're rural, we have problems getting people to travel to us.
Becka

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back