Shed roof v bird poo!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a simple garden shed with a pent roof, left by the previous owner when we bought the house 2 years ago.

The shed is near a shared wall, above which are high trees (my neighbours, but overhanging our garden).

My problem is this - birds sit or roost high above the shed roof, dump on it, and their guano is burning through the roof felt.

I don't know long it took to damage the old felt I've just replaced, but it didn't look old or seem particularly cheap/thin.

I've just replaced all the old felt with Marley Waterproofing Super Shed from Homebase; within a week the pigeons(?) have already started to leave their mark. :(

They're probably roosting way up in my neighbour's trees, and suggesting he or I pay for a tree surgeon seems like too much trouble. So my next thought is a more durable roofing.

Any thoughts? Would shingles be better at withstanding the attack, and could they be fixed straight on to the felt?

Or should I consider some sort of metal roof or similar?

Sponsored Links
shed felt doesn't last long anyway. sunlight degrades it.

If it is a prestige, high-quality outbuilding with expensive equipment in it, you might justify the cost of a proper roof

Either place a proper slated roof on it but if its just the droppings your concerned about buy a plastic bird of prey to scare the pigeons away

Sponsored Links
Okay.

Can anyone recommend slate tiles (light?) that would be suitable for a shed roof? Could they be fitted directly on to the existing felt?

And what about a supplier?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back