about to paint my external door black gloss

Sponsored Links
Black gloss will show all of the flaws in the paint work so expect to spend a lot of time sanding and featheringout imperfections using epoxy resin filler.

I would have reservations about painting a door black if it is South facing due to the amount of sun light that it will get.

My paint of choice is Dulux Trade Weathershield oilbased gloss but if the door is protected from the elements then standard trade gloss will be fine. Undercoat will be grey.

Drying times at this time of year will require leaving the door open all day.

A better option might be to use an exterior grade acid cat spray but the paint costs will be very high and you will need to get a HVLP sprayer. Touch dry will be minutes. You will be able to take the door off spray the requisite amount of coats and rehang it the a few hours later.

If you do go for acid cat then make sure that it is exterior grade. I sprayed my front door not realsiing that the spray was interior only. It looked amazing for a year and then the paint started to craze.

I was able to take the door off 10 am, sand it, fill it, resand it, spray 4 coats and rehang it by 5pm.

If however you do want to do it in oil based black gloss, then the blackest gloss is still Valspar. Not a lot of it about though. I think Akzo Noble bought them out along with a lot of others.

Has anyone tried Japlac? That stuff has an incredible gloss to it.

Sponsored Links
Black gloss will show all of the flaws in the paint work so expect to spend a lot of time sanding and featheringout imperfections using epoxy resin filler.

I would have reservations about painting a door black if it is South facing due to the amount of sun light that it will get.

My paint of choice is Dulux Trade Weathershield oilbased gloss but if the door is protected from the elements then standard trade gloss will be fine. Undercoat will be grey.

Drying times at this time of year will require leaving the door open all day.

A better option might be to use an exterior grade acid cat spray but the paint costs will be very high and you will need to get a HVLP sprayer. Touch dry will be minutes. You will be able to take the door off spray the requisite amount of coats and rehang it the a few hours later.

If you do go for acid cat then make sure that it is exterior grade. I sprayed my front door not realsiing that the spray was interior only. It looked amazing for a year and then the paint started to craze.

I was able to take the door off 10 am, sand it, fill it, resand it, spray 4 coats and rehang it by 5pm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back