worcester junior 24i/ noise.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 6 month old worcester junior 24i has started to make a noise which sounds like there\\\'s grit passing through it! I\\\'m sure that\\\'s not what it is but that is what it sounds like. It started a few days ago, then stopped and has now resumed, albeit a little bit quieter. The sound is not in the pipes anywhere. I live in a one bed flat which has 1 shower, 2 basins (bathroom & kitchen) and 4 radiators. NO bath. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
sounds like air bubbles being forced round system by pump keep bleeding system

Forgot to say it only happens when the heating is on, not when the hot water taps are turned on. Does this make a difference to the diagnosis? Sorry to be so clueless!

Sponsored Links
What's the pressure on?

It just could be air being drawn in through a "microleak". If you turn the pressure up a bit, say to 1.7 cold (mustn't go above about 2.5 hot or it'll go out of the pressure relief valve), and the noise stops, that'll be it.

Pressure on about 1.1. Will give it a try. Cheers Chris.

Have turned pressure up to 1.7 as suggested. No change. Should it have stopped instantly or do I need to wait a while for a result?

try turning the pump speed down to setting 2,the pump is only used on ch the pump stops on hot water demand and being as you only have four radiators it really doesnt need to be so high,the junior uses a four pipe heat exchanger so the pump is not needed for hw, so thats why its a perfectly good remedy for the noise,the front cover needs to come off to do this so if you dont feel happy to do this get your installer to do it,or call worcester and they may even put a 15/50 head on the pump as this is a good fix too.

That sounds like a badly scaled heat exchanger or uncontrolled heat input.

Just possibly debris in the pump impeller though.

Did the installer flush the system? Did he fill in the Benchmark Certificate?

What does he say about the noise? Or was it fitted ages ago?

What is the colour of the water you bleed from your rads?

Putting your location may not seem important to you but it does give us information about the cost and usual standard of work in your area as well as what the water hardness is.

In London the quality of work varies widely and the water is not really too hard to cause problems with most boilers.

That is a very basic boiler and does not have a hot water temp control which many find annoying.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back