Replacing section of ring main

iep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wiring for one of the ring mains for my house has become damaged about a meter above where it exits the fuse box (all circuits exit through top of fuse box and run up the surface of the wall). No electrical damage I just took a chunk out of the insulation while moving some furniture through the garage.

I'm not sure how ring mains are normally terminated, but in our house both the ends of the ring terminate in the fuse box itself. Both cables of the ring have been 'nicked' so I need to replace the first meter of both.

As it happens though, I have a length of 6mm cable spare. Since it can easily carry 32A, is it acceptable to run a single length of this cable the first meter from the fuse box and then crimp connect it to both the cables of the ring main from there?

Cheers,

iep

Sponsored Links
Really the cable should be the same CSA as that of the existing circuit, it's not expensive to buy a 2 meter length of 2.5mm T&E from the wholesalers, I'm sure they will cut to length, mine do!
If I lived near you I would give you some.
How do you intend to terminate the joint in the repair?
if the joint is accessible a 30A Junction Box would be acceptable. You will need two!

Thanks, I was more curious of the regs than anything (and it's always nice to use up materials that you have where appropriate). There's a place up the road that I'm sure will sell me the cable.

I guess then that it is normal practice to terminate the two 'lives' of the ring at the fuse itself (and the neutrals together on the neutral bar)?

The joint is easily accessible. I was planning to use crimp connectors and then to heatshrink the joint. Is this not advisable?

Cheers,

iep

Sponsored Links
I guess I could do that but it seems a bit of a bodge.

Having said that, we're planning to have a new CU put in at some point in the next few months so it would only be for a while.

iep.

Electrically I suppose you could use the 6 mm, but I wouldn't recommend it as it just complicates things in the future. It isn't really recognised as a standard ring circuit.

You would not get a satisfactory joint by crimping, as the cables are different sizes; and you have three of them.

You could take this opportunity to re-route the cables and use 13 amp sockets to form joints, giving you more sockets in your garage to use. Use 2.5 mm cable.

You could only do this if you can confirm both cables are directly on the ring; and not spurs from the ring.

No it's not illegal but it is often used inappropriately. To comply with BS7671 it needs to be placed in a suitable enclosure and furthermore it needs to be accessible for inspection.

If all the cables exit the consumer unit at the top and there is sufficient slack, why not fit some appropriate size plastic trunking?

I guess I could do that but it seems a bit of a bodge.
What's damaged? Just the outer sheath?

If there are no bare conductors showing then just enclosing it to reinstate the protection that the sheath would provide is OK. Yes - it's a bit bodgey, but if you're having the CU replaced soon anyway.... He says, mindful of the fact that there's nothing as permanent as a temporary fix :confused:

If you do want to cut and join the cables, why not do it at the point of the damage? That way you won't need new cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back