Estimated costs - Oven Hob wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Extremely new to electrics so be gentle!!

Currently have an electric oven and gas hob installed in my kitchen. Both appliances are connected to single 13amp sockets in a cabinet - with i believe a 30 Amp switch (single red switch with 6mm cable inside) above them on the tiles.

I have decided to change the oven and hob. Oven load 16 Amps and Hob 32 Amp 5.6kW.

If the hob / oven can be wired to the switch - without damaging the tiles? what costs would be involved in getting the other appliance back to the other side of the house where the consumer unit is? Approx 10m across.

Many thanks,

Ant

Sponsored Links
The only people who can tell you are the ones you get in to actually look at the job and quote for it.

Im getting 3 people to quote but needed to see if i should cancel oven and hob order before it was too late?

Wondered if it £100's or £1'000s?

Not an exact costing as i appreciate there will be many factors, but its a typical 4 bed detached new build house (5 years old).

Sponsored Links
So it turns out that the 30amp switch is in fact a 45 amp switch.

Which hopefully means everything can go into there?

Oven 16A hob 32 A = 48Amp.

Reading up 6mm wire can take 50A ish in open air which it is (cavity wall, over joints into Consumer unit). Manufacturer add 10% for safety.

Thoughts?

6.00mm T&E will carry 47Amps, you have 45A device in place so that will do. Providing no derating factors along cable route, such as thermal insulation.
To move the cable, rally would depend on the circumstances and is hard to say without seeing the work in real life.
But I would guess somewhere in between your £100-1000.
If it's just the cable and no remedial work, ball park £200-300
Where in Yorkshire do you live?

Castleford.

Had a price of £120 to wire in the two devices, and due to 'diversity' no extra wiring needed.

However, second quote.... guy said he wouldnt do it that way unless i wanted the house to burn down!!! He would use 45A switch for hob, and use a socket to wire in the cooker (thats rated at 16A) so surely that will cause problems.

Had a price of £120 to wire in the two devices, and due to 'diversity' no extra wiring needed.

Probably fine, after all, an electric hob with a single oven underneath is no different from a freestanding cooker containing the same items, and they connect to a 32A circuit.

£120 does seem rather high to just connect 2 appliances to the existing wiring though.

Castleford.

However, second quote.... guy said he wouldnt do it that way unless i wanted the house to burn down!!! He would use 45A switch for hob, and use a socket to wire in the cooker (thats rated at 16A) so surely that will cause problems.
I would say that the second guy is wrong. You should not put a 13A plug on the oven if it is rated at 16amps. At some point of high load (Xmas Day) the fuse wil blow.

Guy #1 seems OK. He's allowed half a day pls materials - £120 seems fair.

PS, I guess your cooker circuit is fused at 32amps?

Cooker circuit currently has 45 Amp switch and 32Amp fuse at consumer unit - which he is going to upgrade to 45 or 50Amp, i forget which.

Cooker circuit currently has 45 Amp switch and 32Amp fuse at consumer unit - which he is going to upgrade to 45 or 50Amp, i forget which.

Surely he will be changing the cable to 10mm² as well, then?
You can't just up the cpd.

PS there is NO over allowance of 10% by the manufacturer.
Cable sizing is given in Table 4D5 in totally ideal conditions. (Clipped direct).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back