Planning Pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to instal a new bathroom in mu house. There is no shower in the bathroom at the moment and I want to install a thermostatic shower. All the walls are solid in the bathroom. I was planning to cut into the wall to run the pipes to the shower and then plaster over and then tile. Any advice on doing this? Is this likely to cause any problems? Do I need to put plastic trunking around the pipework?

Sponsored Links
chases in solid and cavity walls are coverd by the building regs, they can't be deeper than 30mm.

The answer probably depends on the risk of the pipes freezing if they are plastered into the wall. If the wall is 9" brick and North facing and you live in the highlands of scotland then I would suggest dry lining using metal or treated timber battens and cemment board or synthetic building board (these won't swell up when wet), then plastic or insulated copper pipe.

If you never leave the house unheated in the winter and you live south of the midlands then yes run plastic or copper pipe in plastic, round, flexible conduit.

I'd avoid using an angle grinder to do the chase work, the dust is amazing. get yourself a sharp electricians chisel and a light lump hammer and pretend your an irish navi for the day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back